How to successfully do meat birds?

It might have been Mt. Healthy. They just don't have them listed now.

I mentioned McMurray because they specifically say that their "Cornish Game Hens" ARE Cornish Cross, and I was guessing that "Cornish Game Hens" from other hatcheries might also be Cornish Cross.

Your description sure sounded like Cornish Cross body type and behavior.
Could well be. A lot of it is just marketing.

Okay. That's disappointing 😢

Oh wow I never knew that !

Okay just wanted to make sure that I could feed them the normal!

I have three ahole rir rooster that might go to freezer camp and want to make them gain weight before, they free range with low access to food ( the older rooster chases them off so they don't get tons but they do have plenty) so I'm going to separate them and feed them a lot lol
I am interested in some of your comments, right now my buff Orpington roosters are breeding my Cornish cross hens. And I’m getting the bred response. I’ve checked the eggs and the embryos are starting to divide so we’re going to put them under a buff hen or in an incubator to see if they will hatch. Contacted several hatcheries I have been told that the parent flock can be sold so am planning to get about 25 to see if they are really telling the truth. As for raising Cornish cross birds if you raise them in a hen house you get nothing but “ pardon my German since I am one” shit. As soon as I can get them out in the spring I put them on pasture with my broad breasted white turkeys and throw them grain my own non gmo mix and they pasture with the sheep. I use the turkeys and Cornish cross to loosen up the dead grass to let the sun get to the roots and they stay in the north pasture after the sheep are moved else were. I’ve raised 45# turkeys, and 12 to 15 pound hen Cornish on half the grain the grass they eat and garden weeds. I do at times if I have them hung the butchering waste in pails with holes drilled in the bottoms and as the maggots fall through the holes the turkeys and hens gobble the free protein. Hens are really faster then turkeys but turkeys are bigger bullies. Just what I do, but then again I’m 72+ so maybe others have better ideas.

Back
Top Bottom