How to take a bully down a few notches?

Jun 7, 2022
Hey everyone!
Around 2 months ago, I added 3 more chickens to my flock of 4. It is clear there are cliques within the coop, but one of the new hens is a relentless bully to my original group! She doesn’t bother the two she came with, but she is always picking on one of the others especially when it comes to food. She’s greedy and is the only chicken who refuses to share treats… and when I feed from my hand, she pecks so hard it hurts lol! I’ve only seen her draw blood once and it was just a nick, but she’ll peck hard and grab feathers. Even my rooster is completely mellow, but she is a tyrant. That being said, I still love her and am not yet at the point of considering getting rid of her, but I wish one of the hens would stand up for themselves and humble her a bit. I know she can be sweet because I see how she is with her original group, but I don’t appreciate how she terrorizes everyone. Is this normal pecking order, or bully behavior?

You could put her in a wire crate with food/water, put the crate in the coop = time out What breed is she?
It's been 2 months, the pecking order should have been established so thinking it's a "bully" issue. The hard pecking may just be a "norm" for her. I have had now and in the past one or two that really peck hard ... It's just their way, and I learned to toss on the ground to have my hand/fingers.

You could put her in a wire crate with food/water, put the crate in the coop = time out What breed is she?
It's been 2 months, the pecking order should have been established so thinking it's a "bully" issue. The hard pecking may just be a "norm" for her. I have had now and in the past one or two that really peck hard ... It's just their way, and I learned to toss on the ground to have my hand/fingers.
She’s a Shamo. I’m aware they’re a naturally more territorial/aggressive breed, but one of her sisters from the same hatch is one of my original 4 (loved the first one so much, had to get another… ended up with a bully lol) and she gets along with everyone. Might start having to utilize time outs!

Back
Top Bottom