How to take your chicks outside for play-time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lyndatu, Nov 26, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Hello [​IMG]

My chicks are about 5 days old. They're in the brooder. When I open the brooder door for maintenance, some of them wants to go out. I'm planning to have them on a trip backyard, but I'm worried that if it's time to go, it will be hard catching them. We don't have a fenced run.....any advice?

thanks in advance...

2. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    I have heard that you can put them in a cage and set them outside and they can enjoy the fresh air, but it depends on the temp. outside. They also wouldn't be able to run around if they are in the cage.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I used a puppy pen. Its a small 2 ft pen that folds up. this is the only picture i can find with it. My computer crashed a week ago so the only pics i can access are the one i have on photobucket [​IMG]
    Its funny to see the dogs wanting to get IN instead of out. There are different heights too. These have come in handy big time with my silkies. I use 2 of these and move them around. I also use them get birds used to eachother in sessions......it gives them a neutral ground for fairness. I did that for weeks before i meged my 2 silkie pens into one.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by