how to tame a black star hen

Jan 23, 2022
Nrh Tx
I have multiple hens (my favorite is snowball the cochin bantam) but my one hen i raised is ross my black star pullet she is young and just started laying eggs not too long ago how to tame her
image.jpg
image.jpg
her jumping for food

You could try some dried mealworm treats + patience. Place some in a cottage cheese or other plastic container, grab a short step stool or mat (to sit on) shake as you enter the coop. Toss out some mealworms (about a foot from where you're sitting) & wait. Do this for a few days, always shake the container, they'll know what the sound means. As they become comfortable with the routine, hold some between your finger or in the palm of your hand but IF you got one that is a "pecker" it will hurt so be prepared.

I'm sure there are other methods but I've used MW as a "training" treat with my girls plus it's extra protein.

She's very cute. The other commenter gave great advice. I'd also recommend top tier treats like watermelon or strawberries. I've never met a chicken who wouldn't swoon for watermelon.

Grab her and put her in your lap. Sit with her for at least 30 minutes. I use some paper towels under the chicken to protect from poop. Try and feed her while she's on your lap. The benefit to watermelon is she won't need water while she sits with you.

Going to sound stupid I'm sure but when you reach for her does she squat? If she does squat you're her rooster and if you don't, well, "mate" her, you are rejecting her and can absolutely lead to resentment. I like to pat their sides a bit. It lets them feel mated without actually mating them or being too weird lol and they start trusting you a LOT more. If she doesn't squat for you this approach is useless and she likely sees you as another hen.

If there is a rooster around, she will more likely than not, want nothing to do with being held because roosters are generally rough on hens. An all hen flock is considerably more loving in my experience. The second you add a hormonal monster in there it's really stressful to them. I lost the love of most of my hens because of this.

Back
Top Bottom