Guitar Girl <3
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

I have a Cream Legbar rooster who keeps on attacking me. I want him to stop, do you have any ideas? I keep a stick with me at all times and I want to not have to do that. Thanks!

Thank you.

Unfortunately sometimes they cannot always be tamed. Between the 3 I have had since starting, I only have one left, it took one rooster nover a year before he started attacking me. They can make the girls stressed to, fortunately I found mine a new home.

I can understand your desire to keep him. But, once a rooster has become human aggressive it's hard to turn him around, though some roosters can be successfully rehabbed. You need to establish dominance over him. Search the threads: there is the "peg him to the ground" method. There is the chase him with a stick method. You don't hit him with the stick, but use it to "guide" him in the direction you want him to go. There is the "restrain him in your arms in a football hold, and use your other hand to tuck his head down. keep doing this until he voluntarily keeps his head down." All of these ideas were picked up by researching the threads for excellent teaching by other flocksters. I routinely chase my roo away from the hens and the food bowl. If he mounts a hen in my presence, he gets an immediate flying lesson. My 7 y.o. has been instructed to chase him daily. I will end with a question for you: Why are you keeping him? For breeding? An aggressive rooster is very likely to produce aggressive chicks. Do you want to breed that into your flock? Can he be replaced with a rooster who is not human aggressive??

I have found a fish net with a 3 foot handle an excellent way to catch, or prohibit movement of any chicken. It extends your reach, you can catch them and it quickly brings them under your complete control.

However, I would catch him once........ then introduce him to a soup pot. Not worth the chance you are taking. I would not keep a mean dog either.

Mrs. K

I can understand your desire to keep him. But, once a rooster has become human aggressive it's hard to turn him around, though some roosters can be successfully rehabbed. You need to establish dominance over him. Search the threads: there is the "peg him to the ground" method. There is the chase him with a stick method. You don't hit him with the stick, but use it to "guide" him in the direction you want him to go. There is the "restrain him in your arms in a football hold, and use your other hand to tuck his head down. keep doing this until he voluntarily keeps his head down." All of these ideas were picked up by researching the threads for excellent teaching by other flocksters. I routinely chase my roo away from the hens and the food bowl. If he mounts a hen in my presence, he gets an immediate flying lesson. My 7 y.o. has been instructed to chase him daily. I will end with a question for you: Why are you keeping him? For breeding? An aggressive rooster is very likely to produce aggressive chicks. Do you want to breed that into your flock? Can he be replaced with a rooster who is not human aggressive??
Thanks, that really helped!

We are keeping him for a pet and protecting the hens from hawks and other predators. We all like him a lot, and we want him to stay.

Hi,

I have a Cream Legbar rooster who keeps on attacking me. I want him to stop, do you have any ideas? I keep a stick with me at all times and I want to not have to do that. Thanks!

Honestly if you want a roo that you don't have to protect yourself from then you probably want to find a new roo.
I can understand getting attached, especially when they are such sweet babies, but once hormones kick in your sweet baby can really do damage.

A mean roo can't be a pet, and can really do damage, and if he hurts any children on your property then you are responsible. Personally I have small children and once a roo becomes aggressive he is gone, usually to the table, because re-homing an aggressive bird makes them someone elses liability.

One thing about it, roos are fairly easy to get once you start looking for one, good luck.

Honestly if you want a roo that you don't have to protect yourself from then you probably want to find a new roo.
I can understand getting attached, especially when they are such sweet babies, but once hormones kick in your sweet baby can really do damage.

A mean roo can't be a pet, and can really do damage, and if he hurts any children on your property then you are responsible. Personally I have small children and once a roo becomes aggressive he is gone, usually to the table, because re-homing an aggressive bird makes them someone elses liability.

One thing about it, roos are fairly easy to get once you start looking for one, good luck.
Yes. The thing about the children is the most important.Thanks!

If you don't introduce him to the crock pot, and who could blame you! Give yourself a very short time line. perhaps 1 - 2 weeks, and diligently train him. If he becomes a model citizen, fine. But IF he ever so much as looks at you the wrong way after that, show him the axe. Good roosters are a dime a dozen. Don't waste your feed on a bad rooster!

Back
Top Bottom