How to tame drakes

Thataussielady

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Queensland, Australia
I have two drakes, a pekin and a runner. Both were raised from babies and are now around 10 months old. They were very friendly when they were little but now everythings changed. They'll eat out of my hand but as soon as you touch them they run away. Could anyone help me?

I have two drakes, a pekin and a runner. Both were raised from babies and are now around 10 months old. They were very friendly when they were little but now everythings changed. They'll eat out of my hand but as soon as you touch them they run away. Could anyone help me?
Most water fowl don't like to be touched or held, so they are acting normal. So just try to enjoy the fact they will eat out of your hand and aren't attacking you, which happens to alot of drakes when hormones kick in.
smile.png

Yep my hens are much more fussable (if that's even a word!).
My drake will eat out of my hands and settle next to me but he won't sit on my lap like the girls and he isn't keen on being stroked - the girls love to be stroked but my drake seems to take it as an affront to his dominance (even though the girls boss him around anyway! ).

Remember men don't like to show their feelings ;)

Back
Top Bottom