1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to tame new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Summer98, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    So my new chicks are here and I am wondering how to properly handle them so they become tame and friendly. I pick them up with both hands and they squirm around quite a bit and don't like being held. A few will calm down and sit quietly in my hands. Petting them doesn't really work because they squirm around too much and I don't want to drop them. I make sure to talk to them when I look into their box (even though my voice startles them). I'm thinking they can get used to my voice that way. Any tips? They are 5 days old.

1 person likes this.
  2. TabbyChickens

TabbyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Hi I just got my chicks yesterday, what works well for me is putting a bunch of feed in my hand and holding my hand out to the chicks. they eat right out of my hand and like to sit in it while eating

1 person likes this.
  3. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Hold them constantly, get them out, let them get on you. My chicks I would let get up on my shoulders. Today now they are 24 weeks and still get up on my shoulders and sit.

4. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd get a towel (for poo protection) and hold them on my lap while using the computer or watching tv. If they're snuggled in they should be warm enough.

5. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Really!!! towel? If you’re going to raise chickens you can't be afraid of a little chicken poop [​IMG]

I agree with everyone else, hold them, sit with them and even talk to them as much as possible. Mine follow me around I even have a duck that will fly to me when I call her in the morning and a Silver Laced Wyandotte that will hop in my lap when I pat my leg. Hand feed them often so they get used to being around you and they know that you are not a threat. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

[​IMG]
    I've been pooped on enough to know that I prefer not to have them suddenly decide to let a wet one fly and have it soak my pants, or the carpet. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Picking them up with both hands might scare them. Try picking them up with one hand, with your fingers splayed out like a cage and pick them up as if you're picking up a butterfly. (or think of the claw machine from Toy Story)

My boyfriend picks them up by putting his hand under their little chests with a scoop with the chick's legs between your middle and ring finger. Wrap your fingers gently around the chick like you're holding an egg.

I'd include a picture but, sadly, I can't flipping find one! I guess I'll have to take a picture tomorrow!

8. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I hold mine in an old thin receiving blanket. I agree that I dont like the poop either but also because it makes it easier to move them if I need to get up or move around and I dont have to worry about squishin or smothering one.

9. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Frequent feeding, watering and indoor brooding for the first few weeks is enough. You don't necessarily need to handle them a lot when really young,, because they're quite fragile then. However, keep the food and water coming and at 2-3 wks try some Greek UNSWEETENED yogurt as a treat. When they reach 3-4 wks and they get rambunctious and want to jump out of the box etc. pay them attention, put them BACK IN THE BOX, talk to them, and be nice to them.... shortly before they need to go outside to a "junior high school" cage.

Watch them and visit with them often.

It helps if just one person raises 'em up. Just the face and the hand with feed creates a sort of imprinting with the birds -

So far, Barred Rocks followed closely by Jersey Giants have been my friendliest!! Just got 4 Barred Rocks at TSC to keep company with 6 brown egg-laying girls (RIR or PR's).

Have a couple more boxes of 10-day olds and 14-day-olds mostly assorted bantams. The 14-day-olds are already hooked on that Plain Nostimo Greek yogurt!!!

Yeah it's warm in here!! Not exactly A/C. :) The 'hot brooder weather' shall pass...but the littlest Barred Rock wants it WARM...... :)

10. Dingo

Over the head/body is threatening to most animals. With small birds, like chicken chicks, this is how a hawk would grab them. I usually slide a hand under, or cup with both hands. Now that they've gotten bigger they will step onto my hand when I slide it under them. I have one that will wait at the brooder door so she can sit on my hand. [​IMG] She's tried to fly to me but tends to drop like a rock. She was lethargic as a chick so she was handled every other hour for supplemental waters and nutracal for the first 3 days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by