how to teach a dog not to jump...

Quote:
I did the same thing with my weimaraner and it worked great I just foldedmy arms and turned my back to him. Gave treats when he sat

Same here. If you're going to use this method it seems like you really have to not react at all. No eye contact, no talking to the dog. Just totally ignore her. Cut her nails if they hurt you because squealing or fidgeting will only excite her. Most dogs eventually take the hint and settle down, then reward her.

A sharp bop on the end of the nose works too.....a bit harsh but it usually only takes one time.
Slinky (whose dogs out weigh me and I have fibromyalgia. Just can't have the dogs jump on me)

Splat, our 6 month old pup is still goin through her trainin stage. She used to be bad about jumping.. she got a knee in the chest, and a firm "OFF" She's still a pup, so she still jumps when she gets super excited and "forgets" but it happens rarely now, instead of everytime she comes up to us. A lil bit longer, and she'll be good as gold
smile.png

Several methods of helping dogs learn not to jump:

Make SITTING generate a LOT of rewards. Dogs repeat behaviors which are rewarding. JUMPING can be very rewarding, even if the dog is subject to aversives, because just the act of jumping up gets contact and attention from you. It's important to try to remove ANY attention or touching or eye contact the dog gets when it's jumping. FOOD REWARD the SIT position as often as you can.

Use a leash to help the dog not jump in situations where it's highly likely that this behavior will happen, such as when people come to visit or you meet people out on a walk.

Moving forward into the dog is a good suggestion, but you have to have good timing, and do this before the dog has its feet on you.

It's good to remember, again, that DOGS REPEAT BEHAVIORS THAT GET THEM REINFORCEMENT. So, if the dog is continually jumping, take a little bit to think about what happens when she jumps that she might find rewarding. Again, touching, speaking to her, eye contact, all of this most dogs find rewarding, even if YOU think you are correcting her. Find a high value reward, and work that sit, with LOTS of rewards, as much as you can. Dogs can't sit and jump at the same time.

big_smile.png

Good suggestions so far! I would not use the knee to the chest, too much chance of hurting them accidentally. Walking towards them when they are jumping works great, they have to get down and back up or they will fall over! Also I used the leash method when company was coming, put a leash on them, put the leash under your foot so they are at a standing position and are unable to jump, praise them tons and give them treats when they sit!! Good Luck I think that is the hardest habit to break.

Another thing to try: when I was in grad school and everyone around me had dogs from the shelter, the typical way of correcting jumping-up was that when the dog went up, you took hold of his paws (not grab, just so you are supporting them) and keep them up in the air and way out in front of the dog. For the few dogs that are happy to just stand there leaning on you this way, you nearly-drop one paw so that nearly all the weight of the front of the dog is on the ONE paw up in the air way out in front of him. They all quickly learned this was No Fun and stopped trying to jump up on people.

Do trim the dog's nails first.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, still searching for the right family dog for us, EVENTUALLY the right rescue dog will turn up.

Back
Top Bottom