How to tell age?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckBoy323, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DuckBoy323

DuckBoy323 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Arlington Washington
    Is there any way you can tell exactly how old Ducks are? Such as if getting th when there pretty grown.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    There are a few things you can look for but its not like counting teeth or anything like thing that can be done in other animals.

Black dots on the bill of an orange billed duck can indicate an older duck - these spots are hormonal. It wont tell if if they are 2 - 3 - 4 years old- just that they are still very young.

In some black ducks- the females will loose colour over the years- so a black runner may have many white feathers by its its second year and by five years have more white feathers than black.

Theres not one rule for all ducks in general- so its best to really look the bird over well and check for general heath and condition.

3. sy7up

sy7up Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    hi duckyfromoz, just click on to see what was up and there was a question I had been wondering about. Blackish green spots on lowrider bill, thought it might be algie from the water. I think I should of inquired more about a pond before I had one built for her it seemed it was always green green green ugh. Thank you for helping me again and everone else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by