How to tell black chicks apart

Sorry I forgot to attach the photo: I have the same problem. Can you tell me what kind of chicks the black ones in this photo with white spots are? They were used as 'packing peanuts' in an order. Thank you, Maureen
The two black ones actually look like black Sumatras to me
but that's just based off of what samurai looked like :)

Thank you for responding. I was originally told they might be Black Copper Marans because the breeder raises those too, he wasn't sure.

I will send a more current photo tonight. They are now all black, but the legs aren't feathered like our other FBCMs, so I'm not sure what to think.

Maureen

Maureen knows better than me for sure. I see that it is lighter underneath than my Austrathorp chicks who are black underneath. Sorry..the faces look the same as mine. (I known the breed of 4 out of my 6 chicks/pullets)

I know this is an old thread, but it matched my question perfectly, so I thought it would be better to reply here than to post a new thread. I have a chick that is supposed to be a Barred Rock but is solid black (gray-ish underside) with solid black legs. It's only a few days old, but the wing tips appear to be solid black as well. Has anyone ever had a Barred Rock chick that looked like this at birth? If not, any guesses as to what the breed might be? I'm trying to match it up with the chick videos McMurray posts (the chick came from there) and haven't found any exact matches yet.

Not a great quality picture because I took it on my phone while trying to minimize the red heat lamp glow.

I know this is an old thread, but it matched my question perfectly, so I thought it would be better to reply here than to post a new thread. I have a chick that is supposed to be a Barred Rock but is solid black (gray-ish underside) with solid black legs. It's only a few days old, but the wing tips appear to be solid black as well. Has anyone ever had a Barred Rock chick that looked like this at birth? If not, any guesses as to what the breed might be? I'm trying to match it up with the chick videos McMurray posts (the chick came from there) and haven't found any exact matches yet. Not a great quality picture because I took it on my phone while trying to minimize the red heat lamp glow.
To me it looks like it has puffy cheeks, so I would say it's an Easter Egger...

Hmm. Interesting. I hadn't actually noticed puffy cheeks on her before; it may be the way I'm holding her. I'll take a closer look to be sure! I'd be okay with having ended up with three Easter Eggers. From looking at McMurray's baby chick videos, the only other breed I see that she might match up with would be the Black Minorcas. They weren't even on my radar before.

I got a much better quality photo today - the chick is now 1 week old. I still can't decide if she/he has fluffy cheeks or not. I'm becoming very confident that this is NOT a Barred Rock, but beyond that I'm stumped. I can't wait until she/he feathers out more and gives me more hints. As far as I can tell, the feathers that are coming in are solid black.

It looks like you were right! Great call. At 2 1/2 weeks, she is starting to get some brown/copper colored barring on the feathers, and her legs are definitely staying dark. (She is the black chick in the front row of the photo below.) This could end up being a very good thing, because I'm suspicious that one of the Easter Eggers (the grayish looking one with the speckled head, front row right) might be a roo - it has almost no tail feathers, very thick legs, and a very upright stance.

Great thread! I ordered barred rocks, got a few rainbow assortment too and all initially looked like barred rock (white spot on head, black otherwise) and now on day 3 all 5 have white wing tips and most have white chests/underbelly. Im wondering if they arent the austrolorp or black jersey giants

Back
Top Bottom