how to tell difference between cockerels and pullets?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I bought 22 EE chicks 7 weeks ago and I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the sex of the chicks. Some of them have almost no comb, some of them have a bit more comb that is just light pink, some of them have a larger comb that is almost red, some of them have almost no comb that is red, I have to say I'm confused! How do I tell the difference or do I just have to wait and see?
idunno.gif

Cockerels tend to stand more erect and look tall. You may have to wait and see... or post some pics here
big_smile.png

Combs: redish in cockerels, yellowish in pullets. Legs: larger in cockerels, more robust. And yes , the pullets tend to walk more parallel to the floor. If you make a sound to alert them ,the guys tend to raise the head. Girls don't do that so evident. Guess who are boys in this pic.

(1 red, 1 dark brown,1 white)

Last edited:
EEs can be a tricky call. The mixed lines that go into producing an EE can really mess with the ability to sex them young. Unfortunately I have found that until they start crowing or laying eggs, it is really difficult to determine whether they are male or female. Behavior tends to be a more accurate gauge than appearance as Kano said.

Good luck.

Quote:
That's what I thought, I bought 2 EE's that were supposed to be pullets, my wife called me at work one day and said hey hon you're a dad to a pullet that crows!
lau.gif

I just posted this to another thread about sexing chickens - it's weird and funny all in one - but, it worked on all of mine (19 - 7 roos; 12 hens.) Hold your chick without holding his/her legs. If the legs dangle, it's a boy; if the legs draw up to the chicks body, it's a girl. When I started my chickens in the classroom, a county extension service agent told me that it was pretty reliable. Of course, I thought it was silly and she said it was possibly an old wives tale. My chickens are mixed breeds; but, honestly it worked with all of them!! It's hilarious. My oldest ones are 3 years old and they still do it. I told my husband we need to take pics but he thinks it's a little late to go out and do it. Some day.........
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom