1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how to tell difference between cockerels and pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by trunkman, Apr 14, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I bought 22 EE chicks 7 weeks ago and I'm having a hard time telling the difference between the sex of the chicks. Some of them have almost no comb, some of them have a bit more comb that is just light pink, some of them have a larger comb that is almost red, some of them have almost no comb that is red, I have to say I'm confused! How do I tell the difference or do I just have to wait and see? [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Cockerels tend to stand more erect and look tall. You may have to wait and see... or post some pics here [​IMG]

3. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:I'll take some pics this weekend and see what all of you think, hope I can fit it into my schedule.. [​IMG]

4. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Combs: redish in cockerels, yellowish in pullets. Legs: larger in cockerels, more robust. And yes , the pullets tend to walk more parallel to the floor. If you make a sound to alert them ,the guys tend to raise the head. Girls don't do that so evident. Guess who are boys in this pic.
    [​IMG]

(1 red, 1 dark brown,1 white)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    EEs can be a tricky call. The mixed lines that go into producing an EE can really mess with the ability to sex them young. Unfortunately I have found that until they start crowing or laying eggs, it is really difficult to determine whether they are male or female. Behavior tends to be a more accurate gauge than appearance as Kano said.

Good luck.

6. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:Wow, looks like 3 cockerels and 3 pullets to me from you description, am I right? [​IMG]

7. trunkman

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:That's what I thought, I bought 2 EE's that were supposed to be pullets, my wife called me at work one day and said hey hon you're a dad to a pullet that crows! [​IMG]

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    [​IMG]

9. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    It looks like you have 3 roosters, they look like they have some Shamo blood in them.

10. meow

meow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    San Angelo
    I just posted this to another thread about sexing chickens - it's weird and funny all in one - but, it worked on all of mine (19 - 7 roos; 12 hens.) Hold your chick without holding his/her legs. If the legs dangle, it's a boy; if the legs draw up to the chicks body, it's a girl. When I started my chickens in the classroom, a county extension service agent told me that it was pretty reliable. Of course, I thought it was silly and she said it was possibly an old wives tale. My chickens are mixed breeds; but, honestly it worked with all of them!! It's hilarious. My oldest ones are 3 years old and they still do it. I told my husband we need to take pics but he thinks it's a little late to go out and do it. Some day.........[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by