How to tell if chickens are thin

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
So I had my vet come and check out my quarantine Craigslist chickens. She said they were thin and their crop wasn’t happy. I’m guessing they’re not eating enough because I never see their crop really full. One of these chickens is dealing with a fungal infection in her throat.

In my main flock I have 12 chickens. None are laying. I have two roosters. And five for sure hens. Then five silkies, 11 weeks, that I don’t know the sex of. The oldest in the flock is 23 weeks the youngest is 11 weeks. The rest fall in between.

They all get flock raiser through out the day and fermented feed in the morning. Before I lock them up they get whole corn.

My question is, how do I know my chickens are thin? Or too fat even? The vet said there was a muscle on either side of the keel bone. If you can pinch it they’re too thin. I couldn’t really feel the muscle she was talking about. Then when looking it up online it just said if you can feel the keel bone at all. Well in my main flock I can feel the keel bone of all my chickens. Am I worrying for nothing or are they really not eating enough? They don’t get a lot of scraps and since it’s winter here don’t eat a lot of grass either. I try to give them fodder but I don’t have a system set up so they can’t have it every day.

Don't give them whole corn, they can't digest it. Large fowl chickens eat about 4 Oz of food each, silkies, maybe 2oz, calculate the right amount to feed them.

Here you go:
Layer-Chicken-BCS.jpg

Screenshot_20210114-160122.png

Don't give them whole corn, they can't digest it. Large fowl chickens eat about 4 Oz of food each, silkies, maybe 2oz, calculate the right amount to feed them.
I was giving them cracked corn but they wouldn’t eat it. Most of the cracked corn got lost to the squirrels. So I changed to whole and they seem to eat it just fine. I’ve heard they can’t digest it. So I looked it up and it seems it everyone has different opinions on this as well. So far all I’ve seen is that it could be a potential choking hazard for younger birds.
I also just let them graze at their feeder. I don’t weigh out their food... I think that’s what you mean by calculate the right amount? Or do you mean try to feed them that amount to make sure they eat that amount?

I also just let them graze at their feeder. I don’t weigh out their food
They should have a good chicken ration available every hour they are awake.

They all get flock raiser through out the day and fermented feed in the morning. Before I lock them up they get whole corn.
Sounds good. but cut out the corn.
Is the fermented Flock Raiser?
Don't feed anything else until they are back in good condition.

How old are these birds?

So I had my vet come and check out my quarantine Craigslist chickens. She said they were thin and their crop wasn’t happy.
Did she recommend a treatment plan to improve their crop situation? Like chicken-specific probiotic products, age-appropriate grit? The fermented feed should be helping in this regard, but what process are you using?

In my main flock I have 12 chickens. None are laying. I have two roosters. And five for sure hens. Then five silkies, 11 weeks, that I don’t know the sex of. The oldest in the flock is 23 weeks the youngest is 11 weeks. The rest fall in between.
Maybe one rooster too many - is there a lot of chasing going on? If there is a lot of chaos in the yard, a lack of harmony, that can affect things. They should start laying soon-ish, as the days grow longer. Since you're feeding Flock Raiser, be sure to offer a calcium supplement on the side for the laying hens.

Am I worrying for nothing or are they really not eating enough?
Well, if the vet said they were thin, and had crop issues, that would concern me - but then again, is this an avian vet? Regular, non-avian vets aren't always helpful... But it seems you confirmed what she told you. Do you think they eat enthusiastically? If not, try something different! They might like a wet mash instead of the fermented. They might prefer a pellet.

Having said all that, don't worry TOO much; this is something to tinker with, to find improvement, it's not a 5-alarm fire -- and it's certainly good of you to care about their welfare :)

They should have a good chicken ration available every hour they are awake.
I don’t know what this means... maybe you could explain more? I have a 50lb feeder that they all eat from. Is that not enough?
After looking at the chart above and then reassessing my main flock they aren’t of a huge concern anymore.

She didn’t tell me anything specific for their crops. Shes a farm vet that also sees poultry... so not strictly an avian vet but there aren’t any around me. I live in a farming community so a farm vet is what I get.
The birds of concern are 14 weeks. The fermented feed is flock raiser. When I let the quarantine birds out they run to their food and eat right away. But after about 10 minutes they’re just sitting on the feeder. They do not have the 50lb feeder. They have a small feeder that can be hung up since there is only 4 of them.
I do have oyster shells down, since that’s something I read about, for my main flock but none of my girls are laying yet. My roo old chases two of the girls around and in the spring I’ll be getting him more. The quarantine girls were supposed to be in with him but he hates them and they have so many problems.
My main flock definitely eats enthusiastically. My roo eats like a pig and watches over the girls as they eat. No matter how much he chases them he does do some nice things for them. But when I let them out in the morning the first thing they seek is food. And any patch of grass they can find through the snow they gobble up. The quarantine hens aren’t as enthusiastic about food.
I’m a new chicken keeper and just want to make sure I do right by my animals. Why keep an animal if you aren’t going to treat it right, is what I say anyway.

Back
Top Bottom