How to tell if it's a prolapse? (duck related)

offdagridsoon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Ontario
Hi, I posted this in the duck forum a little while ago, but thought to post it here as well, given the lower traffic of the duck forum. I'm not sure if there's any difference in treatment/outlook between chooks and ducks...? Hoping someone here can help...

-------------

One of our Cayuga girls has *something* protruding from her vent. The first thought that went through my mind was "prolapse!". It doesn't look 100% like any of the pictures that came up on Google when I searched for duck prolapses, so I'm not sure how to be positive that's what it is... Our ducks, while they recognize us as as protectors and providers of food, are not exactly cuddly with us...they're a little on the skittish side, to be honest. I have my doubts that I could get my hands on said girlie without waiting for my husband to get home to assist, and I don't want to stress her unduly.

I've looked through some of the threads dealing with prolapse and am thinking it may be best (if that *is* what it is..) to start with a warm bath. We haven't any PreparationH in the house, so I'd have to wait for husband to get home with it before I could use that mixed with honey (what I noticed a couple others here had used on their prolapsed ducks).

Any other suggestions? Should she be seen by the vet to be put on antibiotics? We've got some Tylan50 injectible here, but I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate antibiotic. We don't have an isolation box, and so it will be a struggle to put her someplace where she's in the dark (to prevent her from laying)...will this be absolutely necessary? If so, we'll have to find a way to make it happen, I'm just not sure how.

Would appreciate ANY advice anyone can give, really...I've never had this in any of our birds. :(

I also came home today to an indian runner that had something bluish hanging out of her. I am thinking it may be a prolapsed vent as well. I am going to try to get her when my husband gets home and since I don't have any preparation H I think I am going to start with a warm bath and then try some triple antibiotic ointment to push it back in and separate her from the rest of the flock for a few days and keep an eye on her. Luckily I have some nitrile gloves...I don't know if i want to do this bare handed...

I hope you can figure out what to do cause my duck's didn't look like any of the prolapse pictures either but that is the only thing I can think that it would be.

Well, now that DH has come home and was able to hold our wee ducky up so I could have a closeup look/feel, we can say with confidence that she is eggbound. She's floating around in nice warm water in our bathtub upstairs right now, and I put a little bit of lubricant into her whilst feeling around the egg, and massaged her a bit as well. We've got no yogourt for her, so I'm off to look up calcium levels in sour cream. Not sure she'll let me close enough to offer her food, but I'll have to make a go of it.

Back
Top Bottom