How to tell if it's dead

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
I am having trouble keeping a steady temperature in my makeshift incubator. The embryo has done well, but something looks different today (day 6). When the egg is moved while being candled the embryo looks like it's floating within a fluid pocket, and for the first time I didn't see it move. The temperature reached 40 today (celcius) for an hour or 2, so I'm a little worried its died.

When do you decide to toss an egg?

If it still has veins, your good. Put your candler away, it will get you worried when everything is okay. At this stage, if it quit, you would see a "blood ring" where all of the blood as created a very visible ring. Just like any other embryo, they don't constantly move, sometimes they rest.

I'd wait at least another week. I'm on day 8 and I still can't definitely see the embryo in two of my eggs, though I do see veins. The others are moving a lot, but I'm not taking any chances unless I see an absolute blood ring. Waiting won't harm anything.
smile.png

Thanks guys! I saw pictures of the blood ring, but don't know how fast that forms. There are tons of veins and I saw the little guy tumble around tonight so I guess we're still good. I tried to get a water heater thermostat tonight but couldn't find one that went less than 110F. I'll try a plumbing store tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom