How to tell if quail chicks are warm enough

Jellybean June

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
Virginia, USA
First time quail mom, and I moved five baby coturnix quail chicks into my brooder this morning! They so far all seem quite happy and healthy-- a lot of movement, very vocal and curious. I have some more who have hatched in the incubator as well. I'm using a rent-a-coop 10x10 heat plate (Won't have more than 14 quail total, but I doubt they all will hatch) and I am wondering how I can tell if it is warm enough. The thermometer I am using is not directly beneath the plate because I didn't want it to bother the chicks. It is stuck on the wall right beside it, and reads about 91 F. When I tested it on the plate before putting the chicks in, the plate got up to 109.5 so I am not too worried about it not getting hot enough. What I am not sure about is whether or not I need to raise or lower it.

The chicks are all huddled underneath, but sort of spread out and not in a pile. They occasionally come out from underneath (haven't figured out food or water yet but we're working on it) but they've also been yelling at me a lot which I saw someone say might mean they are cold. Is there another reason they could be peeping so loudly?

The heat plate needs to be low enough that the chicks can touch it with their backs when they stand under it. If they’re not in a pile under it but spread out then they’re probably fine and some are just making noise to make noise. A heat plate is not a mommy. Can you post a pic?

The heat plate needs to be low enough that the chicks can touch it with their backs when they stand under it. If they’re not in a pile under it but spread out then they’re probably fine and some are just making noise to make noise. A heat plate is not a mommy. Can you post a pic?
Here are some pics! They haven’t been nearly as vocal today so I am thinking maybe they were just nervous when they couldn’t see me yesterday or something
4E66B24D-4D5D-4538-847E-D176F255611E.jpeg
D916C6F6-B4B0-4ECE-9028-A5017C93744C.jpeg

First time quail mom, and I moved five baby coturnix quail chicks into my brooder this morning! They so far all seem quite happy and healthy-- a lot of movement, very vocal and curious. I have some more who have hatched in the incubator as well. I'm using a rent-a-coop 10x10 heat plate (Won't have more than 14 quail total, but I doubt they all will hatch) and I am wondering how I can tell if it is warm enough. The thermometer I am using is not directly beneath the plate because I didn't want it to bother the chicks. It is stuck on the wall right beside it, and reads about 91 F. When I tested it on the plate before putting the chicks in, the plate got up to 109.5 so I am not too worried about it not getting hot enough. What I am not sure about is whether or not I need to raise or lower it.

The chicks are all huddled underneath, but sort of spread out and not in a pile. They occasionally come out from underneath (haven't figured out food or water yet but we're working on it) but they've also been yelling at me a lot which I saw someone say might mean they are cold. Is there another reason they could be peeping so loudly?
109 will kill them.

I highly recommend ditching the heat plate and getting a regular light bulb in a clippy lamp.

I think you’re fine! That’s how I did mine and they all did well.
Didn’t see the 109! What’s the ambient temp under there? You can always raise the heat plate. Mine isn’t warm enough to burn my hands when I touch it, but it’s more than warm to the touch. Not uncomfortable though.

Didn’t see the 109! What’s the ambient temp under there? You can always raise the heat plate. Mine isn’t warm enough to burn my hands when I touch it, but it’s more than warm to the touch. Not uncomfortable though.
If I put the thermometer actually touching the center of the heat plate it is 107 today. The further away from the center, it is cooler, around 100. The space underneath where the chicks are is staying at about 95/96. The metal is definitely quite hot to the touch but none of the chicks seems to mind? I think I have it low enough they’ll stay warm but high enough they won’t be burning themselves (I hope so at least).

If I put the thermometer actually touching the center of the heat plate it is 107 today. The further away from the center, it is cooler, around 100. The space underneath where the chicks are is staying at about 95/96. The metal is definitely quite hot to the touch but none of the chicks seems to mind? I think I have it low enough they’ll stay warm but high enough they won’t be burning themselves (I hope so at least).
If they seem ok I’d leave it. I never checked temp just went by how the chicks behaved lol. Good luck with your quail, I had a lot of fun watching mine.

Back
Top Bottom