How to Tell which are Laying

R3Rugrats

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
Just received 23 chickens, 2 roosters the rest hens. I'm getting between 8 to 11 eggs a day. The chickens ages range from 3 yrs to 1 year, how do I tell which ones are actually laying besides actually catching them in the act? They're all buff orpingtons so it would be a little difficult unless I mark them somehow after I catch them laying.

Thanks

Only way I can think of is separate them into 2-4 groups. Easier to keep an eye out. Molting will have an effect, and they all won't molt at the same time unless they come from the same or near the same time frame. Feed will have an effect, if from where you got them it was lacking. I would think that if you have 23 hens, and they're all doing thier job, should'nt you be getting 16-20 eggs a day??? Guessing at best,,

catching them in the act, some people believe you can put some food coloring in the vent (maybe on it) and it'll leave streaks on the eggs but never tried/seen it done, or you can pick each one up and feel around for the bones in their vent area.. Ones that are laying you should be able to fit 2-3 fingers inbetween the bones (Depends on how chubby your fingers are and bantams/large fowl).. But even then hens that are ABOUT to lay will be like that too...

Thanks... I'll see what I can figure out... I'll have my DH do the vent trick....
wink.png

The best was it to watch and see who goes into and out of the nest boxes or put up a critter cam. One member uses a web cam in her coop.

Back
Top Bottom