How to tell which egg is fetile?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OPIE, Oct 9, 2008.

1. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Well, I have another question. I have 10 Buff. Orp. hens and 1 roo. How do I tell which egg he has fertilezed and which he has not. I would like to try and hatch out more Buff. Orps.

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    You first have to crack the egg open... [​IMG]
    When looking at the egg you should see a little round white circle on the yolk if there is a little dot "bulls eye" in that circle then it is fertile...... if there is no "bulls eye" then it is not fertile.....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    As far as knowing which ones specifically are fertile for hatching, it's kind of hit and miss. Do like barnyard said with a couple, and if they are fertile, chances are most of them will be. I would advise to get another roo though. I think 10-1 ratio is pushing it to the limit. Another roo would just increase the chances of them being fertile.

4. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Oh man Barnyar & Shellyd, I have cooked some of these eggs and didnt know what that was!!! I had 4 roos, but processed 3 as I didnt want that many roos. I guess, like you said its just a hit and mis kinda thing. Ok I will try and see what happens. Lol.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by