How to train a dog to get along with chickens OR can it be done?

Wow, these are some incredible training tips and techniques. nzpouter, I can definitely see that in my dog's case it IS the thrill of the chase. She could still hurt a chicken and must NOT chase, but I think it's puppy fun to her. Mountain Man Jim, thank you so much for your training lesson. It's excellent and makes so much sense. Beekissed, you too had some excellent training tips. I can see that the responses to my OP are worth a lot and should be "packaged" in some form to help so many people who have chickens and dogs. Now that I've heard from so many experienced folks, I feel confident that our puppy can be taught to be a good farm/chicken dog. Her presence in the yard would be a great benefit to keep away hawks which are so prevalent around here. We also free-range our chickens, so having a well trained flock dog would be great.

Here's a little history about us that some of you might find entertaining: Until a year ago (September 2009), Richard and I lived in a gated community in a fancy town here in Florida. Our home sat on a lot facing the large lake which beyond was the 18th hole and clubhouse of the golf course. We had services for everything: lawn mowing, edging, tree trimming, etc. The golf course was beautiful and the people in our neighborhood very nice. We had three little "fluff" dogs that went to the groomers on a monthly basis. They wore cute little outfits sometimes just because it was the thing to do. I got my bi-weekly manicures and pedicures and Richard polished the golf cart and kept the cars nice and clean. Neither of us had ever lived on a farm or cared for farm animals though we both love all animals. Both being in our 50's we thought we had the perfect life, but it wasn't. We just didn't know it. Richard's brother (who lives up north) came to visit us to look for land with a few acres to build a home. We tagged along, and after a couple of weeks, brother went home without buying anything. But, we found what we weren't looking for--a home (in pretty good condition) with 3 1/2 acres, outbuildings, and divided pastures which needed A LOT of work. We knew immediately that we had been BORED at the golf course and a new life as farmers was right for us. We spent the past year working like real farmers do (hard labor) and did all the work ourselves. Fencing needed replacing or repairing, pastures were overgrown with everything, mostly dirt and rocks where grass should be. And the list goes on and one. So, here we are one year two months later and WOW are we still learning and working hard, but we love it. We have a small herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats (which we raised from bottles) and which we will be milking after the birth of our first babies due in March. We have a very nice flock of chickens which we raised from day old chicks. They are giving us the most incredible eggs I have ever tasted--never knew what a difference from store bought eggs. Our eggs have become very popular with the "golf course" folks and others in our area, so we're earning a little $$ to help pay for feed. Our fluff dogs love the farm and don't go to the groomers much any more. We keep them trimmed as best we can. Same with me--I keep my nails trimmed short and my toes as clean as possible!!! Our golf cart is now a farm vehicle and is no longer shiny and polished, but works great hauling stuff around the farm. We are learning so much from our new neighbors and friends who have been farming for years, and we have been so welcomed into this new type of "country club". Next project: growing a garden.

I use shock collars on our dogs. They are great training tools when used properly. I think people get the wrong idea about these collars and how they are used. I use a professional trainer in connection with the use of the collars. Our dogs know who the Alpha (pack leader) is now and seem happier and more willing to please than ever. A big part of the training is the reward. My dogs have become accustomed to the comands and rewards. People hear the word "shock" and just kinda freak out. Its a great training tool and has to be learned properly from trained professionals. Different strokes for different folks. I highly disagree with the "pain and frustration"...my dogs feel neither....they are just like any other happy dogs who know who the pack leader is, and totally willing to please.
And I prefer to call it a method of "touch" not "shock". Command and reward. Command and reward. All based on http://www.dogskool.com/pavlovs-law.html

TwelvePalms...if you haven't already done so, I think you would really like to visit our sister site, SufficientSelf.com, link to be found at bottom of your page. Lots of folks there with similar stories and may be some info you might like to glean!
smile.png

BTW...welcome to the forum!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I also have done this. I have a German Rottweiler weighing in at 136lbs solid muscle. So you can imagine I have no predator problems with him guarding the house and inner acerage. I have him trained to sit if I raise my hand. Lay if I point to the ground. Come if I snap my finger, shake, play dead, and he lets my kids ride him. I used positive reinforcements, and a nono can I call it. I put 13 pennies In an aluminium can and taped it off. He associates the noise with no. And stops whatever he is doing immediately. He stops when you just say no as well, now I just use the can if he wants to be stubborn. Which only happened twice.

UPS guy didn't read my sign... " Intruders welcome, dog food is expensive " Chased the driver into his truck. Heard the can. Stopped in his tracks and sat and stared. (I warned UPS to drop parcel in mailbox or I would come pick it up)

Back
Top Bottom