How to train chickens to dust bathe

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bman0023, Oct 15, 2014.

1. bman0023

bman0023 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Hi All, I have 4 chickens all born at the same time and I have a dust pan but they are not dust bathing. Any idea on how to train them to do this? I don' tthink they have pests, but I have read that they like to roll around in the dirt to clean up.

Thanks

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Teach by example. When showing them how to dust bathe, take video and share with us.[​IMG]

3. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I think it should be instinct for them. I raised 2 batches of chicks in brooders and another batch hatched out under momma hen. The brooder chicks went outside at 6 weeks old. I didn't see them dust bathe for a couple of weeks. The chicks raised by momma hen were dust bathing at a week old. They'll do it when the mood strikes. The brooder chicks were my first ever chickens and didn't have an adult chicken to teach them, they just stared doing it.

4. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    That's funny!

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

lol

They'll dust bathe when they are ready. When I take two and three week old brooder raised chicks, that have never seen an adult bird dust bathe, outside for the first time and they almost immediately start making little dust bowls for themselves. And before that first outing they are dust bathing in the shavings in their brooder. It's instinct and if they have a good place to dust they will.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Teaching a chicken how to dust bath is like teaching a dead whale how to smell bad. It comes natural after the proper length of time has elapsed. No joke just create a 2x2 to a 3 feet by 3 feet area in a dry area of the coop or run. Have at lest 1 foot of soft, crumbly dry dirt in it and add a few inches of fine hardwood ashes. Soon this chicken spa will be busier than Hugh Heffner's hot tub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by