How to Train Chicks to Sleep/Rest @ Night :)

Fawn and Fam

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I wanted to share my success w/ this subject. Our chicks were driving us insane! We were using a red bulb and they had all their needs met. Still they were just as wild at night time as they were in the day.

Thanks to the forum I was given some ideas. Each one worked a little, but putting them altogether worked like magic!!! First I placed a towel over one half of the brooder (not near the lamp). It helps them feel safe and secure. Second, I changed my red bulb to a black reptile bulb. Then they can't see as well. Third, I placed a stuffed animal in there to be their replacement mama hen. Pick one that is big enough but still light. Also one that is fluffy but hard to remove fibers. Test it by pulling on the material to see if any comes off, you don't want the chicks to eat it. They were crazy happy to crawl under it and snuggle. I only put the stuffed animal in at bedtime and remove it when I wake. That way they won't poop on it and peck at it all day. Lastly, I placed a large mirror on one end (outside their clear tote brooder). It helps them to feel like there are more of them, that they have friends since I only have a couple. They love watching themselves and pecking at it.

When it is time for us to go to bed all I do is put the towel on and put in the stuffed animal in. They immediately quiet down and w/in a couple minutes are silent and sleep/rest the whole night. When/if they chatter at all during the night it is really quiet peeping. It was like a miracle!

Funny story: one night when I went to bed instead of getting quiet like normal they started peeping louder than I've ever heard them. One was even "sounding the alarm", her distress call. I thought something must be wrong w/ one of them. I went to them and they were standing in one corner, but fine. I go back to bed and still they're as loud as can be, so I go back to them- nothing. I lay back down and it hits me. I forgot to put their stuffed animal in w/ them! Where they were standing and crying was right next to the animal, just the clear tote was dividing them.

Also I ended up using the black reptile bulb 100% of the time. When I was using the red bulb at 2 1/2 weeks old they started getting aggressive w/ each other both in the day and the middle of the night. When I changed to the black bulb at night they were fine but when I put the red bulb in for the daytime they immediately became aggressive. I put the black bulb back in during the day and it immediately stopped and they've been fine ever since. Plus it's nice not to have to replace the bulbs everyday.

Hope this helps you get your beauty rest
yesss.gif

Last edited:
I wanted to share my success w/ this subject. Our chicks were driving us insane! We were using a red bulb and they had all their needs met. Still they were just as wild at night time as they were in the day.

Thanks to the forum I was given some ideas. Each one worked a little, but putting them altogether worked like magic!!! First I placed a towel over one half of the brooder (not near the lamp). It helps them feel safe and secure. Second, I changed my red bulb to a black reptile bulb. Then they can't see as well. Third, I placed a stuffed animal in there to be their replacement mama hen. Pick one that is big enough but still light. Also one that is fluffy but hard to remove fibers. Test it by pulling on the material to see if any comes off, you don't want the chicks to eat it. They were crazy happy to crawl under it and snuggle. I only put the stuffed animal in at bedtime and remove it when I wake. That way they won't poop on it and peck at it all day. Lastly, I placed a large mirror on one end (outside their clear tote brooder). It helps them to feel like there are more of them, that they have friends since I only have a couple. They love watching themselves and pecking at it.

When it is time for us to go to bed all I do is put the towel on and put in the stuffed animal in. They immediately quiet down and w/in a couple minutes are silent and sleep/rest the whole night. When/if they chatter at all during the night it is really quiet peeping. It was like a miracle!

Funny story: one night I when I went to bed instead of getting quiet like normal they started peeping louder than I've ever heard them. One was even "sounding the alarm", her distress call. I thought something must be wrong w/ one of them. I went to them and they were standing in one corner, but fine. I go back to bed and still they're as loud as can be, so I go back to them- nothing. I lay back down and it hits me. I forgot to put their stuffed animal in w/ them! Where they were standing and crying was right next to the animal, just the clear tote was dividing them.

Also I ended up using the black reptile bulb 100% of the time. When I was using the red bulb at 2 1/2 weeks old they started getting aggressive w/ each other both in the day and the middle of the night. When I changed to the black bulb at night they were fine but when I put the red bulb in for the daytime they immediately became aggressive. I put the black bulb back in during the day and it immediately stopped and they've been fine ever since. Plus it's nice not to have to replace the bulbs everyday.

Hope this helps you get your beauty rest
yesss.gif
Nice ideas. I'll file this one for future reference!!

I'm definitely intrigued. I will try the towel tonight and look for a bulb and stuffed animal tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

My kids get a light 24/7 until 4 weeks. So far Ive had no aggression issues with the breeds I ahve. When its time to take away the lamp at night, I cover the brooder with a blanket and shut off the light. The cry for about 30 seconds, but the utter darkness encourages them to sleep. they sleep until morning.

That's very interesting. I'll try the teddy bear although they will be in the garage their peeping won't bother us but it will be good for them.

Oh, going to start shutting the light off tonight for the first time, so will try the blanket. I imagine that will help to keep it just a little warmer, too. (Funny I thought about doing a stuffie to cuddle with when they were smaller. At 4 weeks, is it too late to do that?)

You could give it a try. One of my chicks still used it at that age and still at almost 6 weeks wants it in there at night. They may be afraid of it for just a little while till they explore it, mine were. Just make sure it's fibers are not easily pulled off (and eaten). Also I recommend taking it out in the morning because they will turn it into a jungle gym and peck at it & poop on it all day long
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for the tips! I I find it absolutely hysterical they were peeping loudly because they wanted their stuffed animal! lol Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom