How to train Ducks to sleep outside???

Amy1848

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2020
Hello!
I have 4 six week old Indian runner ducklings. They spend all day in their outside duck house/run and free ranging in my garden.
I live in a residential area and as it’s now warm enough in the uk so I wanted them to try and start sleeping outside.
Ive tried twice now, leaving them with a night light and a heat source so it’s cosy for them. But they literally “shout” for me until I let them out and then all run inside to my utility room to their pen.
I would happily let them “cry it out” by I have neighbours so can’t do that as they get so loud.
Is this normal behaviour, or are they just too young and scared to sleep outside yet at 6 weeks? Or are they simply playing me to get their own way lol?
Thank you for your help.x

There is a reason there is the saying "sitting ducks" :D, leaving them outside, your basically handing all the predators around you area a platter.

😬 They would be in a secure locked duck house at night (it’s actually a dog kennel) but when they’re in their with the night light etc they just shout for me to come and get them. Maybe I need to wait until they’re 8 weeks instead of 6 🤷‍♀️

I have been contemplating this potential dilemma recently because I'm quite sure mine will do the same. Anytime I come in the house for more than a couple minutes the ducks start yelling for me and looking for me. I'm actually considering camping outside in a tent the first few nights they have to sleep in their coop :p

Oh my gosh, mine are exactly the same! I have to hang with them free ranging in the garden for at least an hour every morn. If I go into make a tea they all shout and run after me 🤦‍♀️😂
Then they will calm down enough after about an hour of me playing with them to go into their run.
I know it’s because they’ve prob missed me over night and have partially imprinted on me, but really don’t know how to get around this during the night.
Camping as you said may be the only option we have 😂😂

You'll have to let me know how it goes! mine are just turning 4 weeks so I have a little time before I face this dilemma but at the moment it's looking like I have a backyard camping trip coming up 😂 I'm also in a residential area and also I don't know if I'd have the heart to let them cry all night anyway. My ducks may be a little spoiled 😁

You'll have to let me know how it goes! mine are just turning 4 weeks so I have a little time before I face this dilemma but at the moment it's looking like I have a backyard camping trip coming up 😂 I'm also in a residential area and also I don't know if I'd have the heart to let them cry all night anyway. My ducks may be a little spoiled 😁

Well I tried again this eve, gave them a cosy set up with a night light and a bowl of cherry tomatoes to keep them happy. It was nice and quiet while they ate the tomatoes and then the calling started as soon as they finished 🙈😂
So they’re back in the utility room again. The thing is they are so so good when they sleep inside and really quiet until morn. So I can’t complain. It’s more the persistent cleaning out of 2 “houses” the indoor and outdoor one. Maybe they’re going to end up being adult ducks that just like sleeping inside with their “family” (me and the kids 😂)
And it’s really hard not to spoil them isn’t it! I get you on that one 😊❤️

Back
Top Bottom