How to train your flock?

Bone Bunny

Chirping
Mar 16, 2022
I am at a loss and a little frustrated with the vil-hens and anti-heroos!

They are over 12 weeks now, all feathered out except for the cockerels tailfeathers, which are still fuzzy (even though one of them has been crowing for 2 weeks now. Previously, when they foraged I was with them outside the whole time and they were put up when I left or bad weather was coming in.

Over the past 2 weeks they have been allowed to forage from sun up to sun down, they barely even touch their chick grower and prefer what they can find instead. They all look, act, and sound healthy so I let them do what chickens do.

Hoowever...

For the past 2 weeks we had no rain until yesterday (its also been in the 90s). And I don't mean it sprinkled, the sky damn near fell out. Thunder/lightening the works. Since they randomly come and go out of their coop and run regularly during the day, I had expected them to do that when the weather started to get bad.

I was sooooooo wrong. Like the kind of wrong that makes you think you might be stupid yourself for thinking otherwise. They were, literally, 6 feet from their run huddled in the corner in the downpour yesterday. THEY WEREN'T EVEN UNDER ONE OF THE SEVERAL FRUIT TREES THEY LIKE TO STAY UNDER ALL DAY WHEN IT ISN'T RAINING!

I have learned two things:

1) Wet chickens do not smell good at all
2) Tryin to catch a wet hen during a thunderstorm is like tryin to turn a snot covered door knob

Should I just let them stay out in the rain when they do this? Was I supposed to train them to do this? If I am supposed to train them, how?

TIA!

I am at a loss and a little frustrated with the vil-hens and anti-heroos!

They are over 12 weeks now, all feathered out except for the cockerels tailfeathers, which are still fuzzy (even though one of them has been crowing for 2 weeks now. Previously, when they foraged I was with them outside the whole time and they were put up when I left or bad weather was coming in.

Over the past 2 weeks they have been allowed to forage from sun up to sun down, they barely even touch their chick grower and prefer what they can find instead. They all look, act, and sound healthy so I let them do what chickens do.

Hoowever...

For the past 2 weeks we had no rain until yesterday (its also been in the 90s). And I don't mean it sprinkled, the sky damn near fell out. Thunder/lightening the works. Since they randomly come and go out of their coop and run regularly during the day, I had expected them to do that when the weather started to get bad.

I was sooooooo wrong. Like the kind of wrong that makes you think you might be stupid yourself for thinking otherwise. They were, literally, 6 feet from their run huddled in the corner in the downpour yesterday. THEY WEREN'T EVEN UNDER ONE OF THE SEVERAL FRUIT TREES THEY LIKE TO STAY UNDER ALL DAY WHEN IT ISN'T RAINING!

I have learned two things:

1) Wet chickens do not smell good at all
2) Tryin to catch a wet hen during a thunderstorm is like tryin to turn a snot covered door knob

Should I just let them stay out in the rain when they do this? Was I supposed to train them to do this? If I am supposed to train them, how?

TIA!
They should learn to go in on there own. My chickens will stay out in the rain and storms all day. Most of my run is covered but some rain can get it. So i would just let them be. Unless another issue comes up.

They should learn to go in on there own. My chickens will stay out in the rain and storms all day. Most of my run is covered but some rain can get it. So i would just let them be. Unless another issue comes up.

Thanks for the advice! I have half of the coop completely covered to block from wind and rain, but still get the morning sun. So it stays relatively dry, which is why I thought they would go in it, or at least stay under the trees and bushes. I was so confused. lol

Chickens do have several "layers" of feathers, so they have to get fairly soaked to get down to skin.

I feel like your flock just needs some tough love of "go inside on your own or be cold" and see if they figure it out.
My chickens stay out during rain, storms and snow. And they love it all. If any of them look cold i would try to teach them to go into the coop. Brat way is showing them to go in whennit is raining or storming.

Back
Top Bottom