1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to transport chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bigfatchicken, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Bigfatchicken

Bigfatchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    sarasota, Florida
    I was wondering how people get their chickens from point A to point B. I'm going some where between a 40 to 60 mile radius from where I live, do you just put them in a dog crate or is there a better way i will be using a truck or a mustang.

2. finallychickens

finallychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    I used cardboard cat carriers to move mine about 300 miles. Cardboard was good because they made quite a mess so I could just put the really dirty carriers in the trash. I got one or sometimes two birds in each carrier depending on their size. They really quieted down during the trip since the carriers were kinda dark inside. I'm sure regular cat or dog carriers would work too. Make sure you put down wood shavings or something to cushion them in the carrier. Make sure they are well fed and watered before they go in. Good luck.

3. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    They can be transported in just about anything. As mentioned make sure they have had a drink & maybe fed before the trip. Whatever you use, bare in mind they gonna poop in it.

They will hunker down en route no problem. They can even be kept in a crate or box for a day or so if need be, but keep them comfortable, temperature wise.

...JP

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have used a large dog crate many times. I stand it on end with the gate up when loading with chickens, they are less likely to escape and when I close the gate very slowly put it right side up they adjust with only a small amount of reoranization. The jump and flap and make the adjustment just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by