How to treat, and when can I return "pecked" hen to the flock?

DimondaleBergs

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Hi everyone.
Last night I found one of my 20 week old EE's with a nasty wound on her back near her rump. It apparently happened several days ago, because it already has a scab on it. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't actually picked her up to move her because her feathers covered it. I feel so horrible :-( She's always been the one to stay to herself, so I didn't think anything of it. Until now :-( I moved her out of the coop, and into a hospital crate after discovering it. She has fresh water, and food, and I put some antibiotic cream on it even though it's scabbed. Is there anything else I can/should do? She's eating and drinking well. Moving fine. Actually acts like it's not even bothering her. Probably another reason that I didn't realize anything was wrong :-/ And when can/should I move her back into the coop? I'm going to put an extra thick apron on her when I do!
Thanks.
Feeling like a rotten chicken mom :-(

I would wait til the skin is healed, but you might be able to get away with an apron if it covers the wound well. the problem will be that she sill be at the bottom of the pecking order when reutrned -- especially if you wind up having to keep her separate for a week or two. I would try to identify the lead "bully" and remove her when I return the injured one. If you keep the "bully" out for a week or so, she will then be the one who has to enter at the bottom of the pecking order. If all goes as planned, of course. Good luck!

I would wait til the skin is healed, but you might be able to get away with an apron if it covers the wound well. the problem will be that she sill be at the bottom of the pecking order when reutrned -- especially if you wind up having to keep her separate for a week or two. I would try to identify the lead "bully" and remove her when I return the injured one. If you keep the "bully" out for a week or so, she will then be the one who has to enter at the bottom of the pecking order. If all goes as planned, of course. Good luck!

Thanks :) She already appears to be at the bottom of the pecking order. And I have a couple of bullies in the flock that are going to go into the freezer as soon as I get prepared for it. They've been mean to a lot of the other hens, but just not to this extent.
barnie.gif

I'm having the same problem with one of my hens. It happened so quickly. She was fine one day then the next the back of her head looked like hamburger meat. I separated her and put meds on her neck and she finally healed but no feathers, just bare skin. It's not the other hens that are picking on her, its the rooster. He jumps her and takes out deep chucks of her flesh. I have to keep her separated at all times. She is so frightened of the rooster that if he comes near her she will run to me as fast as she can and even fly up to me to catch her. Is the answer to separate the rooster for a period of time? Wont the rooster always be at the top of the pecking order?

What is this apron I read about?

Well, it's been a couple of months and the skin will grow on Henrietta's again but it won't grow feathers so it stays exposed and if I let her out of the cage when I let the others out of the coop she will wind up with all of the skin pecked off again. I really hate leaving her in the cage 24/7. Usually I will take her out of the cage and carry her to the front of our property where the other chickens don't usually go then I have to round her up when it's time to go back in the coop. It's not hard to round her up, she will usually come right to me especially if I have a feed bucket in hand. We've joked around with making a helmet for her but all joking aside is there anything like that in existence?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom