How to treat coryza (or something like it) in quail???

Quote:
Much thanks for your good advice and wishes!!!
smile.png

Quote:
smile.png

good luck, but honestly, my advice would be the same as JJs, had you not said you were keeping a closed flock and they were ur pets, imho and limited exp.- once a bird shows it is sick, it is usually too late...

Quote:
smile.png

good luck, but honestly, my advice would be the same as JJs, had you not said you were keeping a closed flock and they were ur pets, imho and limited exp.- once a bird shows it is sick, it is usually too late...

I didnt realize it had such a high mortality rate- I am begining to wonder if I have mis-diagnosed? I think two of my chickens had something similar in the fall when I got them (stinky breath caughing, discharge but no swelling) both cleared up fine with antibiotics (though it would explain the sick quail if the chickens are now carriers). Now 2/3 sick quail have recovered and only 1 looks horrible. Could it be something else or have I just been lucky up to my poor pretty tuxedo hen?

Whatever it is - I think it thrives at the feed store where I got my chickens. Never would have gotten my chickens there if I had known (though love the ones I had and wouldnt trade em in for anything). The feed store has a beautiful big, clean enclosure for their adult chickens but every time I go there to get food they have at least 1 bird with eyes swollen shut looking listless. They also carry other types of birds and let some of their ducks and bantam roos run loose around the place (cool aesthetic but perfect disease vectors).

I though I had outsmarted the funk that hangs out at that feed store by swooping in and buying my quail the day they were delivered- alas no such luck. Or I managed despite being very careful to transfer it from my chickens. After reading warnings of chicken diseases transfering to quail I built my quail coop on the opposite side of my garden (40 or so feet away) with a hedge in between and a second fence well around the quail area to keep the chickens out even if they wander that way when I let them out to streatch their legs. I do my best to wash hands, store food in separate locations etc etc... I tried...

Quote:
IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT AND ATTEMPTED EVERY REASONABLE WAY TO PREVENT THIS.... I'M SORRY FOR YOUR MISFORTUNE. REMINDS YA OF THE OLD ADDAGE "NO GOOD DEED..."

Back
Top Bottom