How to treat gapeworm???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magicpigeon, Jan 30, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I think one 7 week old chick may have this. I saw her shaking her head vigorously today and was opening her mouth to breathe also. I am hoping Avitrol Plus may cure this (levamisole hydrochloride 10mg/ml praziquantel 2mg/ml) but am unsure how to dose it. Should I worm all my birds as well? One other has been experiencing slight clear discharge around her nostrils - can I attribute it to worms as well?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The dose is 28 mg/kg in poultry. Since levamisole kills the same worms as ivermectin, and since ivermectin kills gapeworm, I assume levamisole will kill gapeworm.

You did not mention seeing gapeworms in the birds' mouths or throats, and as I understand it, you should be able to if this is the problem.

It is usually assumed that if one bird needs treatment for worms, they all do. That is awfully young for worms, though.

I have no idea about the runny nose.

http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/84/1/9.pdf

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have these chicks been on the ground where they could have been infected. Even then it seems very unlikely that a 7 week old chick would be infected to the point of showing symptoms. Have you had problems with gapeworm in your flock before?

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Nope, never had worms before. I had another australorp that died of unknown reasons though. I was away on holiday at the time though, so not much info on that...

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If these chicks have not been on the ground where they can eat slugs, worms or their castings, they probably do not have gape worm. The "gaping" action can be caused by many things in addition to gapeworms.

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I treated my chickens with Ivermectin and there seemed to be NO EFFECT on the Gapeworm. Of course, I am guessing and assuming they have Gapeworm, as they are "freerange" except at night, and I have lots and lots of earthworms in my soil and garden, where they "graze". (And, they have the described symptoms of gapeworm?)
    So, if Ivermectin does not work on Gapeworm or Tapeworm.... I have just (10 days later) used Valbazen. Will I see improvement, a difference and how long will it take to see that? [​IMG]
    If I have used Ivermectin and then 10 days later Valbazen, do I need to do anything else or are we EFFECTIVELY finished worming for a few months?
    Please... Thank you. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by