How to treat parasites?

Soph Loves Chooks

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
hello everyone! Awhile ago I took a couple of my chickens to the vet, and through the fecal they saw tapeworm eggs. I can’t find the wormer they said to use (it was for dogs) so what should I use?

Welcome to BYC. For tapeworms, you would be best to use a product with praziquantel. At most feed stores, you can find tubes of Equimax in the horse wormers. Dosage is 0.03 ml per pound (0.15 ml for a 5 pound chicken) and remove any worms, snails, flies, or other hosts for tapeworms around the coop. Zimecterin Gold is another product that contains praziquantel with a different dosage, and droncit tablets also have them. Can you post any pictures of the tapeworm segments that you are seeing?

Welcome to BYC. For tapeworms, you would be best to use a product with praziquantel. At most feed stores, you can find tubes of Equimax in the horse wormers. Dosage is 0.03 ml per pound (0.15 ml for a 5 pound chicken) and remove any worms, snails, flies, or other hosts for tapeworms around the coop. Zimecterin Gold is another product that contains praziquantel with a different dosage, and droncit tablets also have them. Can you post any pictures of the tapeworm segments that you are seeing?

I’m not seeing any segments, but the vets said they saw a few eggs in their poop. Some of them are starting to loose a bit of weight, and it’s really starting to concern me.

Were tapeworms the only type of worm the vet saw? There are several other possible worms. The Equimax is under $15 usually at most feed stores in the horse medicines. I would use that. Are you feeding a balanced chicken feed? You might try increasing their protein for awhile. A poultry vitamin or some crushed vitamin B complex may help as well. This time of year I see a lot of chickens with some weight loss while they are molting.

Back
Top Bottom