How to trim rooster spurs?

You sound like a dentist.:gig

As for the spurs on mine, I'm undecided. I don't like the idea of physical alterations so if the spurs become a problem for him I may cull. Fully on the fence. I don't know what I'll do.
Why cull due to spurs?

I trim, or pull depending on the length of the spurs, since I get gashed hens occasionally if I leave them unattended.

I have never tried pulling them. How did it go? I use a metal saw blade and saw them off. Clippers are only good for trimming off the ends where its skinny. Spurs are too thick.

Whenever i saw, therr is quite a bit of blood. Waiting to hear how the pulling goes.

You sound like a dentist.:gig

As for the spurs on mine, I'm undecided. I don't like the idea of physical alterations so if the spurs become a problem for him I may cull. Fully on the fence. I don't know what I'll do.
Do more research. Chickens feel pain but don’t always show it like all animals low on the food chain. If it bleeds it can get infected. Trimming spurs like you would dog nails is the only option unless you have a vet surgically remove the spurs.

Attachments

• F46BBEA7-43EC-4E67-93D5-513DC0EBB78B.png
    F46BBEA7-43EC-4E67-93D5-513DC0EBB78B.png
    517.9 KB · Views: 17
Its an "outgrowth of the legbone" but doesnt really mean it is a bone or attached to the bone. It's just a matter of semantics, you both are correct.

But I am still looking for instructions or confirmation that pulling a spur is indeed a non-cruel way to cut spurs. When I cut them I just let them bleed. I really want to know more about how pulling them effects them vs cutting.

Back
Top Bottom