How to turn eggs?

sunny & the 5 egg layers

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
So I have heard a lot about when incubating eggs, the eggs must be turned 3 times a day. If an egg has to have to pointy end down, then you would turn it by having the pointy end up?
For example:
First Turn: Pointy end down
Second Turn: Pointy end up
Third Turn: Pointy end down

Also, how often in between each turn?

You always want pointy end down because the 'chubby' end contains the air cell. You turn the eggs in basically a rocking back and forth motion. You don't turn the egg upside down because this compromises the air cell and will ruin your embryos. Hope this helps!

jessica.anne :

You always want pointy end down because the 'chubby' end contains the air cell. You turn the eggs in basically a rocking back and forth motion. You don't turn the egg upside down because this compromises the air cell and will ruin your embryos. Hope this helps!

So turning the eggs really means rolling the eggs? As apposed to flipping the eggs completely upside down?​

If you want to use an egg carton, then you simply alternate elevating one end of it 3-5 times a day. If you have them laying on the bottom of the incubator, you use a pencil and mark one side "X" and one side "O". When a properly shaped egg is placed on it's side, the larger end is naturally a bit higher than the pointy end. If you're laying them on their sides, you don't need to worry about which side is up. Stop turning at all when the eggs go into lockdown from day 18-21 (for chicken eggs).

Quote:
Thank you!! That makes sense now.
smile.png

If you are going to hand turn the eggs I would turn them around 7am, 3pm and 11pm. Also I would put an X on one side of the egg and an O on the other side of the egg and always turn the eggs in the same direction so that at 7am all of the X's are up, at 3pm the O's are up and 11pm the X's are up. Then the opposite the next day. Just my suggestions. Here are a couple of pictures a friend of mine took to illustrate.
eggsXO.jpg
eggsXO2.jpg

Or you can put the eggs in a carton and put something under it so you can rock it back and forth.
eggcarton1a.jpg
IMG_3558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom