How to use pine pellets in brooder?

hlarose

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2021
Hello,

Can anyone help me understand how to use pine pellets as brooder bedding? I want to move my 1.5 week old chicks onto it. They are on pine shavings and, I change the brooder daily. How do I go about maintaining the brooder with pine pellets? Does it also need to be changed daily, or should I stir the pellets to mix them every night?

Thanks a bunch for helping this newbie out :)

Last edited:
In the horse world, you first mix water in with the pellets to break down the hard exterior and increase the surface area. Try taking a litter pan. Take a scoop of pellets. Sprinkle a cup or 2 of water over the pellets. Stir until the water is soaked up. Spread it nice and thin then let it dry overnight. The pellets will breakdown into sawdust. Make sure it is dry so you don't chill the chicks. Then you use it just like shavings.

In the horse world, you first mix water in with the pellets to break down the hard exterior and increase the surface area. Try taking a litter pan. Take a scoop of pellets. Sprinkle a cup or 2 of water over the pellets. Stir until the water is soaked up. Spread it nice and thin then let it dry overnight. The pellets will breakdown into sawdust. Make sure it is dry so you don't chill the chicks. Then you use it just like shavings.
When it breaks down into saw dust will you just scoop the poop out? I have been doing this all wrong I think. I have been putting the hard pellets down and then switching out every week. I am a brand new chicken owner and have 5 chicks that are 5 weeks

Back
Top Bottom