How to use the grit.?

ramblingrose

Songster
6 Years
Jul 18, 2017
I bought a small bag of grit how do you use it thanks. Because my chick's has already been vaccinated so just need to know about the grit

I bought a small bag of grit how do you use it thanks. Because my chick's has already been vaccinated so just need to know about the grit

How old are you chicks?

Chick sized Grit and Poultry (adult) Grit should be offered free choice. Chicks will take what they need. Place a small amount in a separate cup in the brooder.

Vaccines have nothing to do with offering grit to poultry.

When your females (pullets) get to the point of laying, offer Oyster shell free choice in addition to grit.

For baby chicks
51voxoaAoGL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Adult size grit
MP,%20Poultry%20grit.jpg

Offer oyster shell for actively laying birds
oyster-shell-front.jpg

Btw I'm not an expert. But my chick starter already has grit/oyster shells so check in your chick food for that.
Do you happen to have a photo of your chick food or at the name brand? For me, I would not want to purchase any chick feed that has added grit or oyster shell. Oyster shell is not needed at all until a chicken is ready to lay eggs - too much calcium can damage the kidneys in youngsters.

chick feed is formulated for chicks.
the calcium helps them build bones as they are growing so fast..
and grit is in many granulated feeds.
Sprout, for one.
some people add water to grit. not necessary.
and too much water can separate the sand from the feed and it sinks to the bottom of the dish. then the chicks aren't getting the grit they need..
if your chickens have access to mother earth, you don't need to supplement grit. they will scratch up what they need ..
just toss a hunk of sod into the pen. they will eat the grass and pick out all the grit they need..
no need to spend money needlessly.

I use an aluminum Vienna sausage can to hold oyster-shell and a second one for grit. This allows me to top off the shell and grit when it runs low. I don't normally have over 3 birds in any one pen except when I am pen breeding. All baby chicks get chick grit before the first morsel of food goes into their little beaks.

The first grit is fed on a clean scrap of cardboard. This gives me an opportunity to observe the health, heartiness, and will to live of each and every chick. That way weak chicks don't compete with the healthy ones.

I especially like it when an hours old chick stands on its scrap of cardboard and goes to scratching in the chick grit like the little fellow was having a seizure. That chick has the will to live.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom