How to Vent Sex Coturnix

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Someone PMed me a few days ago about how to vent sex coturnix chicks...and I promised to help them. HOwever,being the dumby I am, I somehow deleted their pm and dont remember the screen name! SO if YOU read this please let me know you saw it so i dont feel so bad! LOL!
smile.png

First to see on a slightly bigger vented bird, is an over a week old marans chick Cockerel:
cockerelvent.jpg

Marans x orpington pullet(this picture was reported on photobucket as offensive...lol....but i uploadedit to byc....i see educational not offensive it's a bird butt what gives? LOL):
13329_henvent.jpg

And heres very young coturnix chicks, youngest is under a week old. Be forwarned, you CAN injure chicks doing this. I have yet to hurt any but I vent sex quickly, and if I cant tell within the first few tries I put them back and leave them alone for a few more days.

This is a cockerel coturnix chick, still a down puffy chick:
cockerelcoturnix.jpg

And heres two pullets:
coturnixchickpullet.jpg

smallpulletcoturnix.jpg

Cockerels will have a shiney almost circular bump in their vent, hens will not. Hens will have just pretty much an empty void. YOu MAY get pooed on vent sexing, and the easiest way i've found to avoid this is choose the chick you just saw poopie then you'll know they're clean for a few moments atleast
lau.gif
Or if you've seen how they do it on the "dirtest jobs" eppisode you can do that too. I've tried both ways, and I think the cleanest way is waiting for them to poo naturally lol.

Heres a chart I made up... #1's are the vent barely opened, #2's are the vents opened up without harming the chick to get the best look. I don't reccomend opening up a very small coturnix chicks vent they are so tiny youcould do internal damage.

IMG_8794.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks- what do you recommend for ratio for coturnix?? I hatched out about 40 and they are almost 2 months old. According to your pics
smile.png

which by the way - you are awesome for all your info.
thumbsup.gif

Anyway - most of mine are hens and very few roos - maybe 10 - so I need to separate into breeding pens - would you do 1 roo to 4 hens or what??
idunno.gif

Hey monarc, it was me that asked for help so you don't have to feel bad now. Thanks so much for the help. I just had the first chick hatch so I'll be able to try this soon. I can see how hard this can be. I hope I have some luck. How long did it take you before you felt like you knew what you were looking at?

Quote:
wait there were more pics, um can we have them back there is nothing offensive about that I dont get it?
idunno.gif

Thanks for the great info Monarc!

Quote:
Awh yay! IM glad you found this then! (sorry i deleted that pm i felt so bad lol)!

How long did it take? Prob 2 months lol until I got varification from my birds growing up how i had sex themto be
lau.gif
smile.png
What i did too is i vent sexed birds I KNEW were roos and I KNEW were hens and remembered htat and compaired it to chicks I was vent sexing that i didn't know what they were until vent sexing.
smile.png

Quote:
wait there were more pics, um can we have them back there is nothing offensive about that I dont get it?
idunno.gif

Thanks for the great info Monarc!

Its just one pic, I'll upload it to BYC and add it that way yeah i agree nothing offensive yet someone reported me
lau.gif
But yet they didnt report me for the other ones...go figure LOL!

Back
Top Bottom