1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to wait before hatching a young pullet's eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenManTN, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ChickenManTN

ChickenManTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Greenbrier, TN
    I read in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens that it is best to wait six weeks after a hen begins laying before breeding. This is supposed to make for better fertility and stronger chicks. Two of my 6 1/2 month old Speckled Sussex hens started laying today. I am probably not going to be able to wait six weeks. High fertility rates are not a matter of concern, since I'm not selling the eggs, but I do want the chicks to be strong and healthy. Has anyone else ever heard of waiting before breeding like this?

2. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Yes, I have heard of this. I was reminded of it because I bought 12 Black Copper Marans eggs for hatching. There were two smaller eggs in it and neither one hatched. I also heard smaller egg smaller chicks and not to use the smaller pullet eggs for hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by