How to wash my chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Farmer Mike S, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Farmer Mike S

Farmer Mike S Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Glen Mills, PA
    My only laying chicken so far lays in same the corner and not the nesting boxes. While so far out of 4 eggs only one had poop on it, it's still a dirty corner and the coop and I prefer to wash my eggs. So far I've been running them under hot water for about 30 seconds and using dish soap on them. I don't know how right or wrong this is, so I'm wondering how you wash your eggs if you do?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A speck of dish soap in the palm of your hands wouldn't hurt anything. Just run the eggs under water that is 20F warmer than the egg. Read that as hot water, but not so hot that you cannot stand having your hands under the stream. No need for that.

Finger rub the eggs until clean. Let air dry or buff with clean paper towel. Done.

Like that current TV advertisement, "It's not complicated" [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I just use a Dobie scrubber, run warm water and it works well. I don't use soap but can't see that it would hurt anything. I also get some VERY dirty eggs!

4. hensRfun

hensRfun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Washington State
    I don't wash my eggs unless they have some poop on them. [​IMG] I put a drop of organic dish washing soap on the egg and gently hand wash it under luke warm running water. I make sure I rinse all the suds off when I'm done and dry it with a paper towel. I've seen egg washes at the local feed/grain store. The direction said to soak the egg for 15 minutes in a solution of their product and water. However, I've found that my method works for me, it's cheaper, quicker, and I have never had any problems with my eggs. [​IMG]

5. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Mine go in the boxes and are generally clean, but if not, I lather up some dish soap and warm water, scrub, rinse, dry, done :)

6. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    I only do any that are really dirty,I use a piece of damp paper towel with abit of running water if need be

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I'm with Vicky on this. Dip paper towel in water and rub the poop off. If your going to eat them straight away you could wash the entire egg, won't matter if you remove the bloom in that case. But if your storing them , try to avoid removing the protective bloom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by