How warm can quail comfortablly survive?

Hi there,

We've got 17 quail in our desert climate in Dahab, Egypt. We only purchased them last December, so we're yet to find out how they will handle the summer heat. Ours our outside, and, in anticipation of summer, we've built them a new pen in the shade, directly on the ground, so they can dig and find cool spots. We'll keep an eye on them, and let you know how we fare! Apparently quail are mentioned in the bible, as having lived in the Sinai desert (where we are as well), so I'm hoping our local variety can handle the heat!

well of all the places I expect to hear from Egypt is just about the last! But thanks for replying to me. Good luck with your birds and yes keep us posted! thanks

When I first got interested in hatching quail an bought a cage from Turkey that I knew would take weeks to come and it still has not arrived. It is about the only "quail cage" have seen advertised. Does anyone know if this will be sufficient for button quail? I am thinking they are so small they may slip right though the feeding hole. Maybe I am better off with an aquarium? Maybe I have been over thinking this, but I want my button quail to have the best life a quail can. All suggestions on bedding, foods and general raising is welcome. I do not have children or any other pets and my options are limited considering the condo rules I live under. If I go though with this, these quail will be my babies!!! At least until I can finally get my rural dream house.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rea...i=boPKWNL1E4XxmAGWlaHwCQ#imgrc=dUYFUuY0x4FQoM:
If you want to give them the best life possible, I'd definitely not look for a quail cage - as far as I know, the only quail cages in existence are the kind made for commercial breeding = they are meant to keep the birds alive and laying for 6 months or so (or, even worse, alive and eating for 8 weeks or so), not to give them a good life. I'd look for a rabbit cage that can be adapted or an aviary, or build something myself. An aquarium or terrarium can work as well, but the big ones (3+ x 1½+ feet) tend to be very expensive and ventilation might be an issue.
What I've done for my button quail (apart from the ones I'm keeping in aviaries, and I definitely think those have a better life), is build a 4x2x2 ft cage myself. The front is wire, the top is wood but has a layer of soft mesh suspended an inch below the wood to prevent boinking injuries. The cage houses one pair of buttons and currently their 2 sons that are 7 weeks old. I expect the sons to start making trouble soon, as you usually can't keep more than one mature male in a cage that has females (even if she's their mother).
More room is always better, but for a pair or trio that treat each other well (sometimes you get males that chase the females a lot or two females that chase each other and in that case more room might solve the issue) I find that 4x2 ft is a nice size - mine even go broody and hatch chicks in that kind of cage. And a height of 2 ft to allow a little flight. Of cause people keep them in way smaller cages as well and sometimes they'll even go broody in a 1x2 ft cage, but 4x2 is my minimum preference.

goodpost.gif
totally agree with above.

for what ever reason people keep quails it's there duty to make sure the animal will live a happy life and will have space to run around with good food and water.
good luck with your quails.

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking of a bigger cage, but also read that quail cages are low to keep them from flying. If they have enough head room to get some lift they "boink" into the ceiling causing injury and a shorter life. Any comments on that? They are birds and have an instinct to fly, I cannot imagine forcing them to never use their wings as being very humane either. From what I have read quail do not perch, they basically nest on the ground, but flying has to come natural to them. Maybe I will let them out on a regular basis to fly around my screened in porch area That should give them enough exercise

From what I have read quail do not perch, they basically nest on the ground, but flying has to come natural to them. Maybe I will let them out on a regular basis to fly around my screened in porch area That should give them enough exercise.

[/quote]

From what I've seen so far, they don't perch at all, and are mainly on the ground. They just "jump" when startled. I doubt they'll fly if you let them out. Mine have a fairly tall cage, but that's mainly because we wanted it to be multi-purpose

If they are buttons, they will fly if you let them out. Coturnix are less likely to. Neither of the two perch. As I wrote above "the top is wood but has a layer of soft mesh suspended an inch below the wood to prevent boinking injuries." - simply put, I make the cage tall enough to allow for a little flight but pad the roof so they don't get hurt.

Quail do not fly for fun. There a little large compared to there wing span so flight is to help them escape a situation like a predator.
As they have short wings it takes a lot of effort to get of the ground so mother nature designed them to jump before flapping as fast as possible to gain lift. The trouble is that some cages are in the zone where they are jumping and have not got to the point of flying so they bash there heads into the top of the cage. Quail expend a huge amount of energy in flight so for example a button will go up to about 20 feet in a arc then still flapping they will come down finishing the arc about 50' away. From my experience they only have one good flight then maybe 2 or 3 shorter lower flights before they are out of energy and will try to run for cover. they can jump many more times which makes catching them a pain when they have escaped.

Dk has the right idea if you can not make the cage tall enough to prevent them hitting it at force then make it padded for when they do hit it. Once they become adults its very rear to see them fly as they would rather run and jump than to go into full flight. I would guess that by 30-36" they have expended the force of jumping on there best day and they do not do much harm hitting the mesh while in flight mode.

I am interested to find this also. It reaches 109 - 111 degrees in summer here. Right now my bottom-less quail coop is sitting on top of a raised garden bed that receives full sunlight from morning to night. There is some shade under the brooding box that the quail all seem to enjoy. I was thinking about putting a cover with an overhang to protect them from the hot sun but still wanted them to benefit from good light. Any suggestions?

A very generous Back Yard Chickens member was nice enough to give me over 30 button quail eggs. I have read every article I can find and taken advice from as many people as possible. I have ordered some pre ground quail food, a waterer and feeder. Prepared 3 different brooding box options with a regular and infrared light. I am watching them very closely in my incubator and making sure they turn and stay humid. It is only day 2 on about day 13 I will set them. I was thinking about putting a tiny dish full of marbles in with them when I set them since buttons cannot go without water as long as other quail. With my luck they will start to hatch right after I leave for work on day 16 and be stuck in there until I get home. I am hoping if I leave them water they will survive a little longer until I can get home. Of course I am sure my girlfriend will be watching them and can assist but I would rather be there since I am the one that has been doing all the research. I just have to wait now, I feel like a nervous expectant father! LOL

Back
Top Bottom