How we got our 5th chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brenda+2, Nov 23, 2009.

1. brenda+2

brenda+2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Hi Everyone -

I have a few questions for you about our mysterious chicken:

Our 5th hen came to us like magic last night. Our neighbor called and asked if we lost a chicken. After a head count - there were four - we started to wonder whose chicken was this? In our town, we are the only non-farm approved family with chickens. The two farm families with chickens in the 'hood have Old English, and the other have bantams. Our mystery chicken is a hen, petite, and a little redder than a Buff O. My guess is a Red Star. She even got a name, Cinnamon.

Anyhow, we took her in and placed her in her own spot with food and water. At dusk, I went to check on her and get her settled for bed, but she was gone! I was so sad. Where did she go? I didn't know I was crazy for chickens until she disappeared.

This morning, after my first sip of coffee (6:30am), there was a knock at our door. Our neighbor (a completely different one BTW), came over to ask us if we were missing a chicken. There she was - tucked under his arm. Yay, Cinnamon was back! She had spent the night outside and the neighbor found her in his backyard this morning.

Now that she is back, we have her separated from the flock with food and water. She appears healthy - eating, drinking, pooping, scratching, and cooing. I called the animal control officer in case she is a run-away. Animal control thinks that she escaped the dinner table. (Meaning, she was purchased live for a fresh supper.)

Here are my questions... Beyond establishing pecking order, what kind of issues should I be concerned about? Could she kill my flock? What are the chances that everything will be okay? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

You will need to keep her quarantined (I believe 30 days is the recommendation), to ensure she doesn't spread any illness to your existing flock. She may appear healthy, but be a "carrier". Once that time period is up, I'd move her closer to your flock, so they can get familiar before housing them together. Hopefully, that will help minimize her getting picked on once you introduce her.

Good luck!

3. chicktwit

chicktwit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    You might dust her with diatomecious earth (sp) in case of lice or mites. You also might give her some wazine for worms in her water. If she is what you think she is she'll be a good layer. It sounds like you're making her feel welcome. She'll be a lot happier & safer not running loose.

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    After you do the above suggestions...(Quarentine 30 day min...)..wait until your flock goes to roost for the night, then add her. If they wake up together...they usually get along better!

edited for spelling

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Make sure you inspect for disease...definately keep the bird in isolation for a week or so.

6. brenda+2

brenda+2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Thanks for your help everyone. Our new chickie laid an egg this morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by