How well do chickens handle heat and humidity?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jody, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I'm concerned for my chickens during this HOT weather in the mid 90s and high humidity, and this weather is expected to last for several more weeks. Will my chickens be ok? What danger signs should I watch for? They have fresh water available and shade.. What else can I do? They're out free ranging during the day, in the coop at night.. I'm not able to add a fan to their coop.

I have same question for my ducks too, but they get to swim all day, so I think they'll be fine.

2. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't think you'd have too much of a problem in New Hampshire. Here in South Carolina, the temps can stay above 90 for weeks. We just had 18 or 19 days in a row with temps of 90 or above, and killer humidity. My chickens have shade and water, and can dig in the dirt. I have a well ventilated coop--one side is just wire, and I've never lost one to heat stress, although they look pretty stressed out at times. I don't have electricity in the main coop, so they have no fan either.

I worry when they stand panting and holding their wings away from their bodies, but so far we've always made it through. I have an assortment of breeds, and I haven't noticed that one is any better than another in the heat.

It DOES get cold here at times (not like New Hampshire), and they all tolerate that as well.

So just provide shade, water, maybe mist them with the hose if it gets really bad. Some people freeze milk jugs full of water to put out in the run to cool them.

[​IMG]

3. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I like to freeze water in 2 liter soda bottles or juice bottles. I put one out usually around noon. They like to sit on or lay next to them and drink the cold condensation droplets. One bottle lasts most of the afternoon, at least till its a little cooler. We have heat indexes into the 100's in the summer.

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    All year round we average 90 in the day, up to 110 in summer (april & may) and 75 at night, up to 85 in summer with humidity between 75-90%.

Our chickens do just fine, they do run over the hot ground to get to shady areas but apart from that, no problems.

5. tweetypie

tweetypie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    My cochin is the only one who seems to dislike the heat, but thats due to her heavy plumage. They are range chickens and they seem to handle the heat, they stay in the shade most of the day and I keep fresh water out. The ones that I have to keep cooped up are doing well too. I have to check on them more ofter to make sure they arent getting too hot and have plenty of fresh water. Havent lost anyone to heat yet. We have 90's during the day, but the humidity is down this weekend.

6. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    We are having the same weather in southern NY (Orange County) right now. Around noon I go out with the hose and I put it on mist. I mist the coop and my girls. They really enjoyed it today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by