how well do lg still airs work for duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 23, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    hello [​IMG] i'm going to try and hatch some of my dad's muscovy's eggs but have never done this before and would like some advice and opinions on incubators. i've done lots of research and now just need an incubator to get started. i'm looking at the lg still air at tractor supply because that's really all i can afford since i don't plan on doing this as a business but just for fun and to add some new scovy's to the family [​IMG] i've heard both good and bad reviews about it. also, do i need to add a fan for better hatching results?

any opinions/suggestions?

2. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    I know folks out here that have used still air incubators for years with great success. You might want to do a BYC search for Still Air Incubator.

The only problem is some like them, and some don't. With fans....some like them and some don't. With digital thermostats like the 1588's...most like them but a few don't.

Most comments are opinions from a lot of really good folks here on BYC trying to help. Read read read. I did, and I do. When a day goes by that you do not learn something from BYC...you're dead [​IMG]

The only thing I can add is that if you can afford it you need a turner to go with it.....oops, there I go with a opinion! Couldn't help myself. [​IMG]

A

3. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG] thanks for the reply. as far as turners go i've read duck eggs do better being hand turned because they do better tilted on their sides rather than straight up and down like with chickens. is this true??

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    im sure it will be fine

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If your house is thermostat controlled then a still air incubator is fine but if the house temp changes then so will the temp in a still air incubator. http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by