How well do marans lay??

They lay very well
wink.png

Mine layed just about every day of the yr and only slow down in the summer.

I have cuckoo marans and they lay 4-5 days a week I would say and they are sweethearts... but they are still pullets.... I suspect they will slow down. I like them because they are a nice sized bird when done laying... most of my birds are dual purpose. My goals were to have a colorful flock and a colorful egg basket and meat for the table when their "careers" are over. I have just recently ordered some hatching eggs for some fancy Orps that I hope to use for breeding. I guess it comes down to what your primary purpose is... lots of eggs or fancy birds..... or you could get a bunch of different breeds like me (darn chicken math) and the good layers will make up for the mediocre ones....
lol.png

My 5 Black Copper Marans stop laying in Nov and won't lay again until February. 4 months out of the year without a single egg. In spring they produce like crazy for about 4 months (4 eggs / week). They get broody in spring really wanting to hatch eggs. They slow down again during the heat of summer (2 eggs/week). They pick up in Sept and run again until Nov (3 eggs/ week). Each spring and fall you get beautiful dark brown eggs for 3 months until they get to the end of their cycle.

My experience is their eggs are more for show than high production. The eggs are fun to show off and gift to friends.

Comparison, my Red Stars just keep pumping out eggs all year long. They eat less food and don't get broody. I live in Northern California.

Cheers,
JD

I agree with everyone else: Marans simply are not a production breed.

My Black Marans lay 3-5 eggs a week, but it seems to take them a long time to go through their molt..maybe 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom