How well does tarp insulate a small coop?

It’s a fairly open cage with most being wire.Was gonna leave the front side open in the summer and rest closed up in winter escpecially the sides that are opened from the north because the north wind seems to blow more in the winter time.

Thanks that is exactly what I was doing or going to do.What breeds do you have?
Buff orpingtons and Barred rocks. They are about to be 3 and this was our first consistently cold winter in our part of Texas since having them. We had several days in a row below freezing with lots of ice and they did just fine with the tarp and plywood blocking the wind.

Mine are Cochin bantams a very won’t hardy breed.Think about leaving bottom of cage opened and just letting them get their ventilation from the bottom while the wire parts will be wooded or tarp

Mine are Cochin bantams a very won’t hardy breed.Think about leaving bottom of cage opened and just letting them get their ventilation from the bottom while the wire parts will be wooded or tarp
It would be better to have the ventilation above the birds, or leave one side open.

How well does tarp hold against cold and hot weather?
Tarp could block wind in winter and create shade in summer depending on how it is installed.

Seeing your coop/run setup (pics)
and knowing your location would help immensely.
upload_2018-3-18_7-16-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-18_7-15-27.png
    upload_2018-3-18_7-15-27.png
    372.7 KB · Views: 1
good ventalation in the winter is key for not harboring new desease. if you have some ventalation, keep it open while the tarp is over it, so you if you add a tarp, it wouldnt over heat.
:jumpy:bun:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom