How well is Holderreads stock of show quality call ducks?

Tlammy

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
London, OH
I wish to expand my flock... and i got a bad ratio... Ive heard both good and bad things about their stock..
So tell me.
Thankies!
smile.png

I don't know about their Calls. But nobody else seems to be answering you.

I have both geese and Appleyard ducks form Holderread and am very happy with both pf them. My goose has won Grand Champion Waterfowl. Although, I think that geese are Holderrread's specialty. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to order Calls from him.

Since shipping is going to be expensive, I would email and ask for an assessment of their show quality. I would expect to receive an honest answer.

The only problem I can think of is that he doesn't ship Call ducklings and his adult birds, once they are graded and you ask for top show quality, are quite expensive. But at least you know what you are getting.

There are lots of really good Call breeders in the USA. Have you checked to see if there is one near you?

I'm not really sure on the Quality, but they sold/gave their flocks to their cousin or nephew can't remember which.
But anyway. Everytime I asked about their call ducks and what they had for sale they gave me someone elses E-mail and this guy lives in Missouri. As I was sitting here reading one of the E-mails he sent me, I was wondering why the heck did they give me his E-mail if he lives in Missouri..? They do have excellent stock though, but they are almost always sold out.

They probably won't sell just females since they are usually already paired up with a male and they don't split them since they don't want extra males.
But I guarantee they would sell you males since everyone seems to have a surplus of males from every hatch! LOL
smile.png

I purchased 2 pairs of Calls from them this past Fall. I picked them up directly at the farm. They are breeder quality (that is what I asked for) and I reserved them at the beginning of Summer. I am very happy with them. I was not expecting show quality (didn't pay for that) and was quite delighted to see that one of the drakes (a blue fawn) would probably do pretty well at a show. I have not seen any of their "show quality" calls but would expect them to be pretty nice.

I have seen pictures and talked to the people here in Missouri where his calls went. There show quality calls look very nice from the picture. I dont have his email any more but I am sure holgerreads will give you his email.
smile.png

Quote:
If you're looking for SQ birds, find a breeder in the spring to buy some ducklings from OR, hit a show near you and buy the birds there.
If you buy established birds, you can pretty much tell their quality.
Good luck!
Patty Pickard is a Call breeder in Ohio-you might want to check her birds out.

I purchased some drakes from him this past spring as I had extra ducks. I asked for pictures and was told this was not possible. Based on his reputation I purchased 4 drakes and was very disappointed in the drakes that he shipped me for the price he charged which was $65 to $85 each. I am now selling a couple of these birds for $15 to $25 which is more in line with what they are worth. I would not buy birds from him again.

Back
Top Bottom