1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How/when to merge new chicks with flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dodgewoman, Apr 21, 2013.

1. dodgewoman

dodgewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    I have 7 hens that are a year old and 2 roosters. I currently have 9 chicks that are about 6-8 weeks old. I have started putting the chicks out during the day next to the hens current run. When can I start integrating them full time? How do I go about doing this? Throw them in at night and hope for the best?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is safest to house them where they can see and hear each other until the chicks are around the same size as the older ones. I'll give you a link to some methods. The first part is about quarantine, which doesn't apply to you, so just scroll on down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    In a few weeks it would be best to put them in at night. This way it's the easiest to merge them with the older birds. Always remember that the first few days the chicks will be working out the pecking order so they will most likely get picked on.

4. dodgewoman

dodgewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Thanks for the link! I think we could rig up a temp run and coop, just to get my husband to get time to do so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by