How / where / through whom do you sell your hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingchicken77, Nov 13, 2008.

1. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    obviously i'm still giving some serious thought to getting a bigger bater than my little 3-egg one. i'm starting to think this chick hatching thing is seriously addictive!

my question is if you hatch for a hobby, how or where or through whom do you sell your hatched chicks?

there's no way dh is going to let me keep more than 3-4 chickens in our backyard (i don't plan to breed, plan to get the fertilised eggs from others), so if i do this i want to be sure i'm going to be able to sell them (to good homes [​IMG] )

cheers,

carrie

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    we sell them on craigslist. Actually a couple of my customers subscribed to BYC

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My hatching of chicks is by word of mouth thru the feedstore, I have people asking all the time to hatch them out some peepers. Just did 50 some mixed for a local person. [​IMG]

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I've listed them on Craigslist and taken some to the small animal auction. I've not had any trouble getting rid of them. [​IMG]

5. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Do you sell them as babies or raise them to point of lay? My dh was thinking about hatching a bunch out (well as many as my bator can hold at a time) and raising them until the spring, then selling them. We have seen them on craigslist for $8-10 each. The ones we would hatch would mostly be mixed as we only have one hen the same breed as our rooster. I don't know if it would be worth it to do it over the winter though.

6. dancingchicken77

dancingchicken77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Australia
    tabby, i don't sell any yet. just toying with the idea of doing so because i think i'm developing an addiction to incubating and hatching. [​IMG] plan would be to sell them as babies, if poss

7. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I sell some as chicks and others I grow out to see how they develop. I have at lease 3 people that I started in chickens that want to buy more from me all the time. Get your friends and family addicted and you have a market for your chickens.[​IMG]

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I sell mine as chicks. If I get 3-5.00 per chick, it doesn't pay to feed them to get 8-10.00. [​IMG]

9. I sell them through word of mouthg. I go to the auctions (small town) and announce that I have chicks. I usually have them gone in about a week to pretty good homes. I rarely get money and if I do it is a budk or two. In turn I get first choice on birds that people have before they go to auction.

I keep the chicks that I think will bring either big bucks are a good breeding source. The rest go as week to two week olds. People really like the week olds. They do not have to worry about desease or a weak chick. They also like the idea that they have already been started and are eating and drinking and they can seet thier poop. You would be suprised at the request to see the poop, it does tell alot about a chick. I do charge a buck to see the poop.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
  10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Craigslist!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by