How will my crossbeak chick do when added to the flock?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have two chicks that are 4 weeks old, a little cockerel and a little pullet. The pullet has a fairly bad crossbeak. Right now while they are living in the brooder she is doing just fine. She prefers to dig the crumbles out of the feeder and eat them off the floor of the brooder.

How well is she likely to do once added to the flock in a few weeks? They will of course have their own crate in the coop until they are fully intergrated.

When we had a chick like that I read up on the subject. Consensus seemed to be that they will always need a deep dish to eat from. Also it was common that they grew and survived but then slowly lost weight and went downhill.
Our chick seemed to be getting worse in the beak crossing as weeks went by so I asked my son to take care of it for me.
smile.png
Nice son. He wasn't attached to it at all and was very efficient.

they'reHISchickens :

When we had a chick like that I read up on the subject. Consensus seemed to be that they will always need a deep dish to eat from. Also it was common that they grew and survived but then slowly lost weight and went downhill.
Our chick seemed to be getting worse in the beak crossing as weeks went by so I asked my son to take care of it for me.
smile.png
Nice son. He wasn't attached to it at all and was very efficient.

Thanks. I intend to let this chick live as long as she can. Her brother is very attached to her.​

Back
Top Bottom