How would I know if my chicken is broody?

bazi77

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 25, 2010
Douglasville, GA
I have 16 chicken and 4 roosters, all in same coop and run. How would I know if my chicken is broody? Also I am planning to leave the eggs in coop so whenever one of them become broody, they know what to do with those eggs. Any suggestions?

Quote:
welcome bazi
welcome-byc.gif

I don't think it's necessary to leave eggs in the coop. If a girl goes broody, she will stay on eggs~or just sit in a nest box. She won't leave it. If you take her out, and she goes back and stays in there for a couple of days..you can pretty much guess that she is broody.

Quote:
I agree. If you leave the eggs the longer they set without incubation either by a broody or being in an incubator they loose their viability. Not a good idea to leave eggs in a nest box and wait for a bird to go broody. If one goes broody then you can put some eggs under her. Good luck and have fun...

For me, the biggest sign for broodiness is when the pullet/hen doesn't go up on the roost at night; rather, she stays on the nest. Here's my latest happy broody mama:

24456_chicken_pics_resize.jpg

SunnyChic:

So sweet! What a good mama.

bazi77:

As Cynthia12 said the broody chicken come before the egg. You will know when a hen goes broody, you won't be able to keep her from the nest, she may sit on other hens eggs, or move them to her favorite nest box.

Other signs: flattening herself out over the eggs and making this horrible chittering sound of warning. Then puffing up and darting a peck at you for reaching into her nest box.

If she stays in the nest two nights in a row instead of roosting, then I am pretty sure a hen will stay broody. One night isn't sufficient; I've had hens "practice" at being broody for a full day and then give it up.

Not a good idea to leave eggs hoping somebody will go broody; that's just wasting eggs. Many BYC members have NEVER had a broody hen.

Back
Top Bottom