How would you calculate how much to sell pullets for that you've raised from chicks that are less common breeds?

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I order a lot of birds from quality breeders or places like green fire farms, so they're more on the pricey side and less common breeds that you wouldn't find at TSC, etc.
Most are sold straight run. I give away roosters, but sometimes I end up with more hens/pullets than I want. Is there some rough calculation I can use to determine what to sell for, based on what I paid for the chicks + cost and time of raising them? Thanks!

What sells for one amount in your state, won't sell the same as mine, and vice versa so best you see what they are going for where you live.

Facebook has poultry groups for every state and even down to the county. I buy/sell from there most of the time. I'd scroll through a few groups looking for your breed being posted and message them.

To give you an example though, I raise fancier silkies. I've paid $15 each for some as chicks and $90/dozen for hatching eggs. I've never sold a hen, but a first-year fancy silkie hen here would be around $40-50 depending on the type, ie. a cuckoo silkie hen would be on the higher end of that.

Good luck!

What sells for one amount in your state, won't sell the same as mine, and vice versa so best you see what they are going for where you live.

Facebook has poultry groups for every state and even down to the county. I buy/sell from there most of the time. I'd scroll through a few groups looking for your breed being posted and message them.

To give you an example though, I raise fancier silkies. I've paid $15 each for some as chicks and $90/dozen for hatching eggs. I've never sold a hen, but a first-year fancy silkie hen here would be around $40-50 depending on the type, ie. a cuckoo silkie hen would be on the higher end of that.

Good luck!
Agreeeeee 🥰

Back
Top Bottom