1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How would you handle this flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickPeas, May 15, 2008.

1. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    I've got 11, 9 week olds-5 bantams and 6 standards. I know I have 3 standard cockerels and 2 bantam cockerels.

So that's:
    3 standard pullets
    3 bantam pullets
    3 standard cockerels
    2 bantam cockerels

I'm not sure how to house these guys once the coop is complete. I've heard you shouldn't have standard roos with bantam hens.

I'm not that thrilled with giving away my roos bc I don't trust anyone to take care of them or not eat them, so I just need some advice on how to house.

My questions are this...

Can I have boys totally separated from the girls? I

Can I keep standard and bantam roos together?

Could I keep my two bantam boys with the girls?

Could I keep one standard roo with my two bantam roos and the girls?

How would you handle this is you weren't giving the boys away or putting them on a plate?

Thanks!!!

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I would pic 1 roo for all the girls and sell or give away the rest.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You CAN keep all your roos in one pen and all your hens in another. Some people here do just that. However....... there are some stories of frustrated roos mating other roos to death, soooooo, you know. You take some chances doing it that way. You could build a bunch of coops and runs and get more hens for each roo... or better yet, probably best to pick your favorite and rehome the rest. Someone "may" eat one once they get it, but most likely if you rehome with specifics that they are PETS and not for food, you will probably be fine. And, it'll feel really bad if your roos manage to kill each other.

That being said...... if they are raised together from a young age, sometimes the alpha roo will just keep the others in check. My friend has like 3 roos in her flock. They eat them once they start getting too cocky.... but they get out and roam with the rest of the flock.

4. ChickPeas

ChickPeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Iron Station, NC
    OMG. [​IMG] They are my pets! [​IMG] They've all been raised together and the alpha does keep the others in check.

Oh man....how old are they when they start getting cranky? This is very distressing...

Maybe I can keep my bantam boys together, two roos together and 1 roo with the girls?

I cannot get rid of my bantams boys..Justine the second in line is one of my faves..Danielle is the alpha...he should probably stay, so that leaves Suzanne...(girls names for boys, I know..)

Seriously, this is a very tough situatioin for me here...I love these guys. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by