How would you improve interior of this coop?

Pandora

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Channahon IL
I just got this coop and have a small window of opportunity before I move any chickens into it, to make adjustments. I wanted to get feedback on how I can improve the interior for practicality, ease of cleaning, and best use of space. I’m in northern IL and expect to have 6-8 chickens, about 1/2 of them bantams.

I didn’t design the coop, so nothing I’m going to take personally from your feedback and appreciate any advice given. Coop is 4’ wide, 6’ long and 8’ tall. Will be sitting on concrete block. Pics don’t show it, but the coop does have a ramp/door for chickens.

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

Last edited:
Realistically, get 'em in there, see how it flows and make adjustments as needed based on what your experience is. Are you going to have an outdoor run as well? 24 sq feet is doable for 6-8 birds but it's gong to be crowded if they're in there 24x7.

You are going to need more ventilation. Looks like the peaks are closed in. I would add some openings up there. Your question is about the interior and to make it usable, the interior is going to need more openings for fresh air to circulate. I see that the eaves appear to be open but I don’t think that will be adequate.
The roosting bar might be a little far away from the nesting boxes. You might have to move it closer. The chickens don’t fly in a level plane so they might have a problem getting into the roosting boxes.

I see what appears to be soffit vents, so as long as those are closed off with hardware cloth (and same with the side windows) you're probably meeting ventilation requirements.

Very hard to see the roost area. Is that a single bar? Two laddered bars? Where are the nests supposed to go? Might want to add a poop board under the roosts and tuck nests in there.

Back
Top Bottom