How would you improve this incubator?

For now, yes.  However we found a really good air conditioning thermostat in our garage that we want to trade out with our current one, and then put the old thermostat in the incubator.  Do you think that will work?  We have been lucky to keep the temp right for this long, it is a lot tetchier than I thought it would be.  
Ummm, I highly doubt that an A/C thermostat will go up to 99*. If it does, PLEASE let us know what kind it is!

Things I learned from my DIY styrobator hatches that might help:

-don't put bator directly on the floor (cold/draft)
-get a nice digital humidity/thermometer from Walmart (in the car section by the plastic buckets) to check on things.
-put the bator in a closet or area with stable temperature. I had it in the kitchen and at night the kitchen temp went from 80 to about 69, causing my bator to spike. Sometimes I woke up with the bator temp 104 or 108..
-install a thermostat

I gave up after 2 failed hatches and bought a brinsea mini eco for 79.99. Holds temperature steady like a rock.

Well... it is not an amazing incubator, but it works! All *but three* of the eggs have one of these little fellers in 'em

Last edited:
Things I learned from my DIY styrobator hatches that might help:

-don't put bator directly on the floor (cold/draft)
-get a nice digital humidity/thermometer from Walmart (in the car section by the plastic buckets) to check on things.
-put the bator in a closet or area with stable temperature. I had it in the kitchen and at night the kitchen temp went from 80 to about 69, causing my bator to spike. Sometimes I woke up with the bator temp 104 or 108..  
-install a thermostat

I gave up after 2 failed hatches and bought a brinsea mini eco for 79.99. Holds temperature steady like a rock.

You are absolutly right. Great advice, I am hoping to get the thermostat in soon and may purchase one depending on how this turns out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom