how would you vent and insulate this coop for the winter?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
it is a 8x8 barn style coop...the walls are very short because of the roof design...i'm having trouble trying to frgure out where to keep/put ventilation for the winter(want to aviod drafts..) and how to insulate it also. thanks for any help, Wendy

this pic shows the outside of the coop..and the 2 windows that i have in the doors...i have been using them for ventilation for the summer..but with winter and cold winds, i'm afraid that the chickens will get a draft from them?..

10638_2008_08310036.jpg

and here is the inside...you can see the small vents on the bottom by the floor, on the back wall...should i block them off?....
barnie.gif
..this is so confusing!

10638_2008_08150044.jpg

I will assume you have decided you must insulate.

I would block the bottom (chicken level) vents so as to avoid direct drafts.

Following that there are two methods I would recommend. The first (and probably cheapest) is to stack some staw bales aound your building and cover them with a tarp. This would be especially helpful on the north and wind-prevalent sides.

The other (more expensive) way would be to install rigid foam between your studs and then cover that with 1/4" plywood to prevent tampering.

Hope this helps.

thanks john!..well..i dont have to insulate..but i just though that i kinda had to..(this is my first winter with chickens)..maybe i dont though?..also..what should i do about still giving them ventilation?...thanks so much for the reply!, Wendy

Your coop is like ours. We have a vent cover on both gable ends at the top. If your roof is exactly like ours, there may be some slight spaces where the wall meets the roof, that (in ours) provides some extra ventilation.
We insulated ours with the roll foam. Of course, they have been caught picking at it. If the picking gets bad, we will cover the foam up with wood. My understanding is we wont have to insulate real well because they whould be able to stay warm on there own.
I think the straw bales are a good idea, and if you wrap them in a tarp, you can use them as winter progresses for bedding etc.
Of course of our temps get might low, we will put a heat lamp in the coop when the temps go below 0 deg.
Good luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
thanks roosmom..
smile.png
..yes, there is a space by the roof to put a vent...good idea!, should i put it over the roosts or in the front of the coop above the front doors?..which way will prevent less draft on them? thanks!
smile.png

I did the insulation and plywood to warm my coop for the winter, but then again I live in south dakota and we will be below 0 degrees F for weeks at a time. I do have ventilation though to keep them nice and warm and healthy this winter.

where do u put your ventilation?..i'm worried about drafts...thanks for the reply, Wendy:)

Insulation is pretty much always beneficial -- it allows you to have more ventilation (always good for air quality) with less concern about coop temperature -- BUT western Massachusetts is hardly the sort of climate where you'd *need* to insulate. Pretty much depends on your ambition and budget
smile.png
It wouldn't be that hard to retrofit, so one option might be to go into this winter without insulation and see how it works, you can always add insulation later. (Even in midwinter, if you got really obsessed by the idea
tongue.png
)

Adjustible vents high in the gable ends would be a good idea. I'd suggest making them as large as is practical, then rigging a slider, or multiple hinged flaps, so that you can adjust them according to the weather. Your side walls also look to me like they're high enough to be worth putting in a couple vents there, too, if you are feeling extra ambitious - again, it is easier to have and not need (just keep it closed) than to need and not have. I wouldn't put side-wall vents right next to the roost and there will undoubtedly be days you want them closed, but OTOH there may be times when you're wishing for more ventilation and can take advantage of a nice warm nonwindy day.

Definitely you will need to close those floor-level vents off for the winter, with good tight probably weatherstripped covers.

Btw, you'll want to keep a close eye on that netting that's draped over the run -- it is likely to come down in heavy wet snow or an ice storm.

Cute coop and run - good work
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom